Loud Aquasana RO refill

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devlcat

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to ask the pro's a question. Here's a pic of my Aquasana undesink setup a plumber installed.
When the tank is refilling there's a loud gurggling coming from the drain. It's always made noise but it seems to be getting louder.
Very annoying and we can hear it in the other room. I think it's the way they set it up and probably have to re do the pvc.
Let me know what you think and what can be done to quiet this monster. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• aqua.jpeg
    aqua.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 13
I currently have that same, loud bubbling when my R/O refills. My G/F screams for me to fix it. These systems are designed to be a "quick refill", and as a result the lines are much larger. I also followed the instructions exactly, but I've identified the problem as coming from the discharge hose which is before the P trap, rather than after the P trap. Rather than punching holes all along my PVC drain pipes, I might just toss this entire unit once the filters need replacement, and going back to a previously used R/O system, such as Brita. If anyone has an other idea, please post, because I too am all ears.

Well I'm not gonna toss it, I love it. I agree, something has to be re configured.

Well, the red line connected to the black clamp, just below your dishwasher discharge line is the culprit. You might try moving it past the P trap, to see if it helps us both, although the instructions strictly say not to install it there.

I thought so. Does anyone have a recommended spot to re locate the red line? Passed the P trap on the horizontal or passed that onto the vertical pvc pipe?

I'd recommend installing it on the horizontal piece of PVC, just past the P trap. At least that is what I plan on doing. Remember, you will then need to replace the downspout with the dishwasher nipple, since you will have a big hole in it.

Please keep me informed whether this works for you.

devlcat, your sink drain setup lacks a "vent".
At least have a Air Admittance Valve installed. Do not keep it the way it is.
Havasu, I do not recommend installing the red discharge downstream of the p-trap.
Sewer gas could foul the RO system.

Havasu, I do not recommend installing the red discharge downstream of the p-trap.
That sounds like a good start. Should I install it on the horizontal section after the trap?

Do you think that would help the loud gurggle up through the drain when the RO refills?

That sounds like a good start. Should I install it on the horizontal section after the trap?
NO, if you install it before the trap (IE on the horizontal) you risk cross contamination and sewer gases entering the RO system. An AAV might help with the gurgling, or it might not. It should be installed either way.

For anyone who's following this, the AAV install did not stop the noise at all.

Back