Loose Water Supply Pipe - should I worry?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jebber45

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

New to the board, and I want to thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I also want to apologize in advance if my lingo is not totally correct .. I'm handy, but plumbing is just not something I ever learned.

So here goes.. I've lived in my condo for 4 years, and I've never had any plumbing issues. In my master bathroom I have a double sink vanity.

Today I decided to clean/organize everything under the sinks, so I took all the junk out. In the process I noticed that one of the copper water supply pipes (coming up vertically from the floor through the wood bottom of the cabinet) is loose.

It wobbles a bit back and forth, and you can pull it up about an inch or two up out of the cabinet bottom piece. None of the other supply pipes are like this.

I've never had any issues with leaking water .. and I'm sure my neighbors below me would have told me by now if they saw water spots on their ceiling.

I'm just wondering .. is this an issue I should be concerned about? Or perhaps it is just sort of a lazy installation?

I appreciate your help!

water lines coming out of the floor usually mean the lav is on an outside wall. sloppy work if its loose but like phish said should be fine.

Thanks you guys for taking the time to respond. Indeed, the sinks do butt up to an exterior wall.

I sort of figured if it was a real problem, it would have come to light by now .. but yeah, sloppy work seems to be par for the course for new construction condos in Chicago!

Thanks again, James

The lines may be from rerouting original piping. I've done this when it was not practical and to destuctive to get them into the wall.
You can squirt a little insulating foam from a can to hold it from moving.

thanks Mr. David --

I was thinking about insulating foam as well .. but as it is the hot water supply line, I wasn't sure what type of foam would be appropriate..

any suggestions?

I think you should consult a plumber and get the things repaired soon.Although it may not cause any problems for you right now but who knows it can become a problem in future..don't wait for the neighbors to complain..fix it as soon as possible.

Well I was feeling good about the initial responses to my concern ... that it may have been a lazy installation, but shouldn't cause any problems..

But then I got some more responses saying I should call a plumber as soon as possible..

So yeah, I don't know .. confused now on what I thought was a simple question.

As someone who has been doing plumbing for nearly 17 years, hasn't been banned for trying to use this website to advertise, and in general has nothing to gain or loose either way, I say again, absent some other problem that seems to be caused by this loose pipe, I wouldn't worry about it.

As someone who has been doing plumbing for nearly 17 years, hasn't been banned for trying to use this website to advertise, and in general has nothing to gain or loose either way, I say again, absent some other problem that seems to be caused by this loose pipe, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you, Phish --

I appreciate your insight and experience.

What are your thoughts about shooting some foam insulation down the hole in the cabinet to stabilize the loose pipe?

That sounds like a good fix that won't involve removing walls or ceilings. Just make sure you don't go nuts and bow the bottom of the cabinet with excessive amounts of expanding foam.

Latest posts

Back