looking to troubleshoot a Gould J5S with grinding noise...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Leduc

Reaction score
Looking to help my girlfriend from buyind a new pump. After changing her filters (for high minerals causing rusty water) her pump started making a grinding sound while running, more from the impeller area than the motor itself. I'm thinking that possible bits of rust may have become freed and damaged/clogged the impeller. The unit has never been disassembled for service. I am looking to open it up and see what could be worn/replaced. Question- when removing the motor from the casing, is there a gasket or seal that needs to be reinstalled to use it again? I'd like to open it up and investigate, before ordering/buying any parts. I've found some exploded parts diagrams online, but no mention of a gasket between the casing and motor. Thanks for any help!!

O wow. Your in a mess. Her anger is worth the $390 for pump. Yes on gaskets. There is a shaft seal busted making the noise. That seal can not touch your skin or anything but the shaft. The casing has an o ring but shouldn’t be a issue. Your in this many hours so far. Ordering that part will take days. Your setting yourself up to be her nightmare. Not hero. Lol. I would call it busted and have water back on in 2 hours. But that’s an experienced technician talking. YouTube rebuilding a pool pump. Same seals and concept but more videos available. Not a lot of us rebuilding pumps. Time makes us replace it. Labor to rebuild a pump 3-4 hours. =$600-$800. Swap pump and labor ? About $700-$1000. Rarely I get to rebuild. But do know the nightmare. A box of Surgery gloves will be your friend.

O wow. Your in a mess. Her anger is worth the $390 for pump. Yes on gaskets. There is a shaft seal busted making the noise. That seal can not touch your skin or anything but the shaft. The casing has an o ring but shouldn’t be a issue. Your in this many hours so far. Ordering that part will take days. Your setting yourself up to be her nightmare. Not hero. Lol. I would call it busted and have water back on in 2 hours. But that’s an experienced technician talking. YouTube rebuilding a pool pump. Same seals and concept but more videos available. Not a lot of us rebuilding pumps. Time makes us replace it. Labor to rebuild a pump 3-4 hours. =$600-$800. Swap pump and labor ? About $700-$1000. Rarely I get to rebuild. But do know the nightmare. A box of Surgery gloves will be your friend.

Thanks for the insight. So your suggesting not even opening it up to explore then, right? She priced out a new unit, and we may be able to swap it out ourselves. Just looking for an easy fix, but new will be best long term.

I would look for a suction leak or a clogged suction first.

Yes, I was thinking a partial clog as well. She has said that it has been run dry many many times in the past and sucked a bunch of stuff in before. I'm looking to help as much as possible before making a service call. Could you suggest a generic way to check for clogged suction/leak? Thanks again.

Yeah new is quicker and longer lasting in my opinion. I messed up 3 shaft seals in same pump before I really focused and figured out to really rebuild it. Then I never done it again. Checking suction for a clog or debris is a great first step. But I won’t tear into them anymore. Gould is good brand. But with any new pump. Make sure your sediment screen is in tact on foot valve at bottom of suction. If a lot of sediment I wrap an extra screen around foot.
You could get it rebuilt. Then find out the squealing is from motor. Done that too. Lol. Good luck.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap stethoscope . Can be used to isolate motor noise from pump noise .

Wyr
God bless

Yes, there is typically a gasket or seal that needs to be reinstalled when putting the motor back into the casing. It's important to ensure a proper seal to prevent leaks or damage to the motor. Before opening up the pump, make sure to turn off the power and drain any water in the system. It's also a good idea to consult the manufacturer's instructions or a professional if you're unsure about the process grind and seal . Good luck with your investigation!
was this helpful for you?

Back