Looking to enter the plumbing profession

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbphburg

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking to enter the plumbing program at my local votech and was wondering if I should be grabbing that 'geometry for dummies' book of the shelf and start reviewing. Seems like geomoetry is the foundation math for plumbing, true?

I personally believe you would be wasting your time by reading that book. I believe you would benefit more by picking up a more specific book on plumbing and plumbing codes, or reading both the questions and answers from forums such as this one.

Sure, "Geometry for Dummies" might help you with general knowledge, but it would be similar to reading the entire Webster's Fifth Edition Dictionary in order to learn how to spell.

A book that I commonly reference and read leading up to the Masters exam is "The Plumbers and Pipefitters Calculations Manual" by R. Dodge Woodson published by McGraw Hill.

Here in Michigan the licensing exams are more about math and engineering than anything else.

Geometrical math is very useful in coming up with cut measurments for plumbing installations. I use the 1.414 multiplier (actually, I usually cheat and use 1.4 for the shorter stuff) all of the time. But a plumbing focused math book such as the one that Reedwalker reccomended is going to be much more useful for a plumber than a broad-based geometry book.

Good luck in your future profession! I will add that I have a friend, who had always worked in the automotive industry. With the economy in turmoil, he found his jobs being eliminated and had to jump from one business to another, just to keep his income.

When he got tired of the long hours and small pay, he contacted a nationally known plumbing company. They set him up with some hands on training for 6 months, and finally gave him his own truck and equipment. Two years later, he could not be happier! He meets great people, always walks out like a hero for solving their plumbing problem, and makes great money.

Just remember, when the economy is in the crapper, so is the money!

Thanms havasu, I'm looking to go through my local votech for the 4 year program and take the liscensing exam; it's an apprenticeship program, and I'm wondering what kind of pay i can expect to make when I begin.

Back