Looking for some advice on my plan to fix a corroded copper drain pipe.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsuallyResourceful

Reaction score
I saw some water leaking in my garage from the ceiling, in an area underneath the bathroom. So I cut up the ceiling, and found that the 3" copper drain pipe is corroded, and has two holes in it. Each hole is about 1" wide by a 1/4" tall. In the photo, you can see that the holes are in the 3.5" section of pipe between two joints. Towards the upper left of the photo, there is a large metal something after the joint. You cannot see it in the photo, I have yet to find out what that is. I do know that after that large metal something, the copper pipe goes to the drain pipe for the toilet.

I have been doing some research for five or so hours, and I have found a few options. I wanted to run these past everyone.

Option 1 - FiberFix. This stuff looks like it will definitely; permanently or temporarily, fix this issue. But I am concerned that the pipe will just corrode further, and eventually corrode the joints. FiberFix just seems like a temporary fix for a copper drain.

Option 2 - Cut the corroded section out at the joints on each side, and replace it with PVC; schedule 41. I was looking around at the hardware store for the proper couplings to do this, but I did not see a fitting that would go into each joint. The problem being that an inch or so of the existing pipe would still be in the bell of the joint. The guy in the plumbing section suggested a Fernco fitting at each joint, then 3" PVC schedule 41 in between. He said I might be able to heat the Fernco coupler up with a heat gun to get it to slide over the joint. I think the better option would be to desolder the pipe and take it out, but I don't know if that is possible.

Option 3 - Call roto rooter, get a quote, and see what a pro would do. I am guessing he would cut out those big joints and just replace the joints and pipes with PVC. I am interested in the best professional fix, I might even be able to handle the task myself.

I am a novice, and have only used sharkbites in the past. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And if you have any insight as to how this happens please let me know. From what I have been reading, it sounds like water just sitting in that area for long periods of time could do something like this.20181206_160253.jpg

If, it were me, I would go to a plumbing supply house, not a hardware store
And ask the counter sales Dude, To let you measure the outside diameter 3'' brass DWV fitting.
After I had that measurement, I would choose the fernco proflex transition coupling that
came close to matching that diameter. i believe it will be a plastic/steel coupling

cut out the copper pipe between the brass fittings, install pvc
put the band over the hub of brass fitting and pipe

***NOTE***
the brass MAY have raised dimples , dremel the dimple smooth so the band will seal

What ever you do check the reviews on your local Rooter. They are notorious for over charging. Like Frodo said its time to replace. Cut that ceiling open and get a good look at what your up against.

1208F3CF-8BD7-46E0-AC26-CC67017795D6.jpeg Thank you for the reply guys! The advice from the local rooter was right inline with Frodo’s suggestion.

The local rooter also suggested cutting open the ceiling a little more and taking a look at things, just as CT18 suggested. He wanted me to look for any other spongy feeling copper pipes while I am up there.

After Frodo posted I did snag the proflex fittings from the plumbing/hardware store; true value. The tough part is sliding the pvc pipe in between the two fittings. I had to take a break to get some other things done. But I will get back at it in the morning, finish the job and post some photos of the fix, and the culprit. It seems that a turd from who knows how long ago was sitting in that pipe. The pipe deteriorated at the water path around that turd. Here is a photo of the copper I cut out.

Make sure you have slope across the repair and the pipe itself is not flat. If so replace as much as needed for proper pitch.

1st Photo: After cutting the copper pipe out.
2nd Photo: Some feces stuck in there, just sitting there after I cut the copper out. Its odd, because the pipe to the right that goes up off the bend does not come from a toilet. The feces had to have come from the pipe on the left, and floated back to the copper pipe at some point.
3rd Photo: The PlumbQuik couplers installed over the 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe. I measured from the inside center lip on each PlumbQuik fitting. So that 3" pipe is tight in there. Solid advice from Rossando on bending the rubber band back. So far its leak free, but I think I am still going to put some silicone around everything before I fix the ceiling.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. I'll run with this for a few days and see if it holds up.

20181208_105600.jpg 20181208_101712.jpg 20181209_094213.jpg

Back