Looking for advice about gurgling sound from behind the washing machine

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staylor

Reaction score
A few seconds after we dump or drain water in the kitchen sink, a loud gurgling sound comes from behind the washing machine. Our kitchen sink is about 10 feet or so from the washing machine. It has a garbage disposal and is next to the dishwasher. That drain line runs toward the laundry room. We've been here 25 years and don't normally hear this sound, and it's loud enough to get our attention.

I dumped a couple of pots of boiling water in yesterday and it resolved the sound, but it returned a few hours later. So my questions are:
  • What could be the causes?
  • Is it safe to do laundry?
  • Is it OK to use drain cleaner in a system as described above?
  • What would you recommend for next steps, please?

Thank you.

I suspect that the drain in partial blocked probably by kitchen debris. |I would rent a super vee drain machine and run it though all the pipes.

Thanks, artic bill. For someone who's time-strapped at the moment, would regular grocery store-type drain cleaner be a safe option, please?

Understood. Lots of mixed messaging on that subject, but we're going to proceed with caution and have called a service to clean out the pipes. Thanks.

Read this awhile ago and it seems to work…vinegar. Pour a bottle in before you go to bed and let it sit over night. Next day turn up the water heater then dump hot water. It will take a couple of treatments, then drain clean. Might be a little better on the pipe. Turn water heater back down so no one gets burned.

Read this awhile ago and it seems to work…vinegar. Pour a bottle in before you go to bed and let it sit over night. Next day turn up the water heater then dump hot water. It will take a couple of treatments, then drain clean. Might be a little better on the pipe. Turn water heater back down so no one gets burned.
I’m going to buy some vinegar, sounds like a legit plan. You just made my job a whole lot easier.

Back