Locating Exterior Underground 3" Drain Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hello I'm having trouble finding the exterior drain. I ran a string line from the house to where I think it should be but I can locate it.

Do they make a tool for finding underground plastic piping?

A lot of plumbing companies have that ability to locate your drain. We use an electronic locator with a line camera.
Camera has a transmitter in the head and the locator is pretty accurate in locating the camera head. It will tell you how deep it is also.
Call around. Cost you about $300 for me to locate line if you live in San Diego, CA, If I don't have to pull a toilet.

Hello I'm having trouble finding the exterior drain. I ran a string line from the house to where I think it should be but I can locate it.

Do they make a tool for finding underground plastic piping?
If you have an accessible clean-out, where it exits the house, try shining a light down it to try to make out a bend and/or determine the distance to a bend with a rod or equivalent. That should help you determine where to dig you first test hole. I'm assuming of course it's not under a driveway or such.

May I ask why you're trying to locate your exterior drain line. I'm assuming it's a sanitary drain line.

Latest posts

Back