little pressure coming from my shower faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then the Moen shower valve insert I bought from HD and installed 10 years ago must have been one of those cheap chinese knock-offs 'cause I had to replace it again last year.

It probably was a knockoff, yes.
HD sells Danco fake Moen cartridges, for a fact.
And maybe other fake brands, I could do research if you want.

Or you might just have very hard water, very high water pressure, high chlorine concentration, very bad luck, or just bad karma.

ok, So I cracked it open again,removed the seals and spring... shop vacced what I could, put in lots of vinegar.
I played around with it, trying to probe as deep as I could with a little wire brush. left open and turned water back on.
water began to come with more force than before then is slowed down again and then started making this strange noise and flow increased a bit again. now if I put my finger on one of the inlets (the cold side) it increased the flow of hot water. But if I put my finger on the warm side it does not really change the cold flow.
also...when running hot water it makes this noise (see video)

what are those screws on either side of that valve body? I tried turning with normal force and they would not budge. Could these be responsible for the lack of flow? are these valves to control how much hot and cold go into the mix? are these some kind of regulating valve?

Those are shut off valves.
They could be clogged also.
Turning them full left and right several times with the valve open and water pressure on might knock some crap loose.
I’m not sure what position is full open.

There is also a pressure balancing cartridge in that chamber on the right, I believe.
Replace that.

Those are shut off valves.
They could be clogged also.
Turning them full left and right several times with the valve open and water pressure on might knock some crap loose.
I’m not sure what position is full open.

There is also a pressure balancing cartridge in that chamber on the right, I believe.
Replace that.
So I just turn on the slotted end with a flat screw driver? the nut is to remove the whole thing I figure.

the pressure balancing cartridge, that would be the part right next to the main body I presume ?

Yes the screwdriver slots are to turn the shut off valves.
On some valves, putting the slots horizontal makes them fully open.
Others rotate a full turn or more, like a hose faucet handle.
Trial and error, unless someone here knows best.
I would guess horizontal.

Yes, the pressure balance cartridge is in that chamber between the main body and the cold shut off.
Applying some penetrating oil on the threads for a day might help it loosen up.

I don’t see any screws holding the valve onto any framing, so if you try to remove the nut to get to the pressure balance cartridge, you should put counter pressure somewhere else safe on the valve, with another wrench.

Don’t try to grab the main round part you are fooling with now, that part can twist and get ruined or pinched.

BTW, I just saw on another forum where someone squirted a good dose of straight vinegar into each hole where the springs came out of, with a turkey baster, then quickly packed the whole thing with paper towels soaked in vinegar overnight, and their flow got much better.
CLR would be much stronger, but not sure if safe to expose to the brass surfaces for a long time.

So your shutoffs could be clogged, or not in the right position, or the little chambers leading to the main cartridge could be clogged, or the pressure balance cartridge could be shot, or any combo of these.

Change the pressure balance cartridge, I’ve seen them seize from non use

FYI During this flushing and testing and repair process, you can rig up a plastic sheet, garbage bag, or heavy foil sheet to tuck up behind the valve and out over the tile opening.

So that stray water is carried out, and won’t run behind the wall and cause trouble you don’t need.

well.. tried getting those shut offs to move, nothing. they must be seized on...
anyway, I figured If I kept going I was gonna damage something badly so I stopped while I was ahead. My parents will be going back to the original plan and buying a new kit. I'm a little disappointing as I like to fix things rather than throw away but given that it's not my house I could not remove the entire thing and play with it...anyway, it is what it is... thanks to all who took the time to help out,truly appreciated

well.. tried getting those shut offs to move, nothing. they must be seized on...
anyway, I figured If I kept going I was gonna damage something badly so I stopped while I was ahead. My parents will be going back to the original plan and buying a new kit. I'm a little disappointing as I like to fix things rather than throw away but given that it's not my house I could not remove the entire thing and play with it...anyway, it is what it is... thanks to all who took the time to help out,truly appreciated
When those stops are stuck (sometimes) if you wack the end of the screwdriver it will loosen up also the screw driver has to be longer than the slot ,if there are flat sides on the screw driver you can use an adjustable wrench on it to get leverage

You could try putting a vice grip pliers on the screw slot shutoffs, and gradual slight back and forth twisting might start to bust them loose.

But the pressure balance still should probably also be changed.

If the whole deal is full of minerals, a new valve would definitely not be a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back