LIMITED HOT WATER

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpoland33

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a propane hot water heater than used to work stellar (been in this house 2 and 1/2 years). We used to be able to get 2 kids baths and 1 shower, all in a row. Lately, it seems like I can't even fill up the tub once before I run out. I've made sure dishes or clothes washing is not happening at the same time. What do you think?

There are a few things we need to know
Is it a hot water heater, is it a tankless heater being heated by your boiler that heats the house ,
Is it just a tankless heater
The age
Service history

I have a AO Smith Vertex. Here's the tag. Age I forgot to check but should be between 5-10 years at the most. Never had any service to it. the only service I've had on plumbing is the old owner had one of the hose bibs heated for warmer baby pool water. I didnt want to give my plants a warm drink so we had someone take that out.
heater.jpg

I have a AO Smith Vertex. Here's the tag. Age I forgot to check but should be between 5-10 years at the most. Never had any service to it. the only service I've had on plumbing is the old owner had one of the hose bibs heated for warmer baby pool water. I didnt want to give my plants a warm drink so we had someone take that out.
View attachment 25175
Have you bumped up the thermostat to see if it makes a difference?????

I have not. I've been reading a bunch and saw that was one of the recommendations. I just figured with it being 90 degrees outside, I shouldnt have to....but would that help by ruling out some things?

Have you been flushing it every year?
Minerals and sediment can build up on the bottom, and can block the burner from transferring heat properly?

Are you on well water or city water?

Do you have a softener?

Maybe the incoming propane pressure is dropping, maybe the regulator needs service?

So try not judge...learning homeowner here...I've never flushed it (I didnt even know it needed to be done. Is that something hard to do on a propane? I did it once on my old house (not propane) when the thermostat went up so I imagine its pretty similar.

I'm on well water and I have a softener but we do not use. The wife hates it. That being said, we had a well company service contract and in doing so, they tested the water twice a year and the water was not hard at all. They had even mentioned the softener wasnt necessary which is all my wife needed to hear haha.

Is there a way for me to look for the incoming pressure before I get someone to service it to see if that's it? Sounds like flushing it might be my first step, then temp, and then maybe the regulator?

There should be a drain valve with hose thread near the bottom of the heater.
Just attach a garden hose and open the valve, you might need a flat screwdriver if there is no handle.

Dump about twenty gallons into a sump pit or floor drain or utility sink.

Open the valve all the way, as long as that does not cause any splashing or flooding problems while draining.
More vigorous draining will stir up more trapped sediment.

No need to turn anything off, just drain the water.

You might have to open and close the drain valve many times if it is clogging up with sediment as it drains, which is very common.

Have you bumped up the thermostat to see if it makes a difference?????
What you could do is , at the bottom of the hot water heater there is a rectangular plate if you remove that and have someone run your tub you I’ll see the pilot (small blue flame) then once it calls for hot water the burner (like on you
Stove) will come on see how long it stays on, or of it shouts down quickly......we didnt ask if you shower was the only thing being affected are all the other fixtures also being affected??????

interesting. I'll check that out. I've never noticed a pilot on it.

I've only noticed it on the showers and tubs (2) upstairs and the sinks upstairs (4-2 in the same room). I've never paid attention for the washer or dish washer

Single faucets yes effected.
I've never noticed the kitchen but mostly because when we notice the lost hot water its always shower time

I flushed it this afternoon, lots of white chalky particles. What I DID NOT account for is that I have a constant pressure system and it is registering a sensor fault so I have no water still (5 hours later). This has happened before when we have too many faucets running at the same time, it'll re-set...5 hours is a little long though. It didnt help that the kids kept flushing and trying to turn on hoses and stuff

is the kitchen a single handle faucet.....have you checked the flame on the hwh when in use...
The flush yesterday seemed to work (for now). Tonight we had the dishwasher, and tub and a shower running at the same time, no loss of hot water

Hurray!

Now flush out your well tank, it is likely full of that same junk.

Since the wife hates the softener, take it out and put in a whole house sediment filter.

And maybe a water conditioner, which is sort of like a softener, but no salt, it does make the water feel better and might cut down on mineral build up.

Back