Lifted toilet, coming up with 1ft+ pipe. Not what I expected.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeohsix

Reaction score
All,

I am replacing a toilet and when I went to lift it off the floor, it started to come up with a large pipe coming directly out of the bottom. This is not what I expected, so I set it back down. My expectation was that the toilet sat on a wax ring that made a seal where possibly, the said pipe would meet the plane of the floor. I've looked and can't find any use case where a large pipe is attached to it. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ian

Not a plumber, but it sounds to me that the person who installed the toilet neglected to glue the pic into the fitting, and also neglected to screw the flange to the floor.

46CF2830-AD91-4297-97DA-EB140E9313FF.jpeg You could have the style of toilet where a boot is attached to the flange for the toilet to slide over. Pull the toilet off and check.

Update: The flange was never secured, and the cement had failed on the low end of the ABS that connects into the drain line. My guess is that it failed due to the fact that the flange was not secured, and rocking stressed the cement over time. In all, a pretty easy fix. Thanks for the replies.

Back