License help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is there a benefit in doing an apprentice program rather than continuing with my job working for a small plumbing company?

You're working towards a career. If you think you would like to do plumbing for a living, start apprenticeship immediately. You won't have a good living working the next 40 years as a helper.

Where I'm at, if you're not a registered apprentice the only time you get to touch drainage is carrying it in for the plumbers. Not even allowed to cement 2 pieces of pipe together.

having an apprentice going to class, uplifts the whole company. not only are you learning the CORRECT way of installing. You start to question others around you.
Your journeyman is not going to tell you. but your questions are making him break out his book at night. trying to stay ahead of your constant questions. LOL that is a good thing.

to answer you question. YES go to school at night and work your job during the day, apply what you learn.
Your employer is watching, IF hes worth a crap, your pay should go up incrementally as you learn.

knowledge is a good thing,the more you know the farther you go

Ok thank you I will definitely look into that. If for whatever reason I do not have w-2 forms is there any other accepted way to validate my experience? (I work for a licensed plumber) and if not will an apprenticeship program accept me without proof of experience?

I did a little research online about apprenticeships what exactly is the difference between the local union and city?

In California mainly it is not necessary to get the license for plumber. In this country the contractor must have a license but the contractor itself must be a plumber.

So if the contractor himself is a licenced plumber, he can hire laborers to work on the drainage system?

do not know about california
but. anywhere where the upc is used.

a licensed plumber must be on site at all times work is being preformed. if it is a 2 story building 2 licensed plumbers are required

you can not install plumbing unless you are under DIRECT supervision of a licensed plumber

I quit a job and turned in the owner for that crap
he thought he could hire 1 [one] plumber to meet the inspector and have wet backs do the work. not while I have licensed buddies out of work Amigo..
wet backs went back to where ever and his doors closed

Last edited:
So if the contractor himself is a licenced plumber, he can hire laborers to work on the drainage system?

negative Bat Man....good way to get your licensed yanked

where is Chris at? he is a commieformia plumber

set us straight Chris, we all crooked over here!!!!!!

Last edited:
I suspected that might be that case. Over here you cant put 2 pieces of pipe together if you arent a registered apprentice.

BINGO!!! and get caught its your butt. not a well know fact, but it is a fact
plumbing official has the power to arrest you. most will just call the sheriff
but if they tell you to stop and you dont. blue lights, hand cuffs and a bad day

building inspector in Orlando told me this
an aerial was done, a new house was spotted that was a mystery, could find no tax records
a building inspector went to the home. he said it was a NICE 2000sq ft brick home, concrete driveway, manicured lawn
he rang the door bell, introduced him self to the man
apologised for disturbing him. and said there must be a mistake, but this house is not on the books
please show him the permit or something official. and he would be gone
the home owner said just a minute.
went back in the house. came out with a shotgun
and said I got your damn permit right cheer. get off my property

30 minutes later the sheriff took that boy to jail
the home owner was made to remove sheet rock for inspections
the inspector said if he had not been such an ass it would have been just a fine

moral of the story..dont piss off the inspector

a licensed plumber must be on site at all times work is being preformed. if it is a 2 story building 2 licensed plumbers are required

you can not install plumbing unless you are under DIRECT supervision of a licensed plumber

he thought he could hire 1 [one] plumber to meet the inspector and have wet backs do the work. not while I have licensed buddies out of work Amigo..
It used to be that way here, back when I started in the trade 20 years ago. But it was never enforced. That was dropped shortly after that time. Now as long as the company has a master plumber qualifying the company, they CAN hire laborers to do the install.

I wouldn't mind seeing the quality of our labor force increased, and also the pay rate for plumbers, apprentices, and helpers going up. But I really don't think that the quality of work has been affected all that much. I have seen some really horrible installs from the old days.

negative Bat Man....good way to get your licensed yanked

where is Chris at? he is a commieformia plumber

set us straight Chris, we all crooked over here!!!!!!

Here I can send my guys out to close down a highway, remove a manhole. Hot tap a waterline and repave all while I sit at my desk taking a nap.

California is relaxed on contracting which probably causes problems. A plumber can hire 50 guys off the street and give each a van and send them out to work whether they know what they are doing or not.

Here they rely on the inspector and inspection process to verify things were done right.

jeeeeeezzz! thats kinda weird with commie fornia so hung up on epa, tree huggin rules and such.

you get caught without a journeymen on a job here
he justs tells you to go to your shop and dont come back with out one

when i ventured to orlando to work. i was at a office bldg. the inspector walked in, which that in its self was strange
no inspection was called in

he asked if I had a plumbers license I said sure do
and I handed him my mississipi license. LOL
he said this is not a fla license
I said you did not ask for a fla you asked for a license
then I said I have a texas one, you wanna see it?
he looked at me. and said is it a cheap peice of crap like the Ms one? I said NO..teXas has it going on! check it out
looks like a credit card . with a hole in to hang around your neck.

we bullchitted for half an hour
then he said, go ahead and make the day. but tell Skip to have a FLORIDA license here tomorrow

I like and dislike how we do it here. It's nice when you have guys who know what they are doing and they do things proper but it also leaves a huge gray area for those guys doing crappy work for a contractor who just doesn't care.

Every one of my guys could easily be licensed if they actually took the test but none have that drive or the law side knowledge.

It used to be that way here, back when I started in the trade 20 years ago. But it was never enforced. That was dropped shortly after that time. Now as long as the company has a master plumber qualifying the company, they CAN hire laborers to do the install.

I wouldn't mind seeing the quality of our labor force increased, and also the pay rate for plumbers, apprentices, and helpers going up. But I really don't think that the quality of work has been affected all that much. I have seen some really horrible installs from the old days.

you make me feel old.

i have ridgid pipe wrenchs with 1984 stamped on them
i bought em new I got my journeymans in 84
you guys know what a reverse print is?

the print is upside down. when they do a subdivision
the same house gets built over and over. they just flip the print.
anyway, terry magee called me into his office. handed me a print and keys to a truck
go put this rough in.
2 story-2 1/2 bath reverse print. you actually look at the print upside down. for my first rough, it was rough

hit all walls 100% for the next 5 years all i did was rough ins. 1 every day.
then, I went to work with Mr Frank
Mr Frank, taught the owner Terry how to plumb.
I figured this ole man is slow. i am fixen to do all theses trims by myself while he >>>>>off
i went and set a toilet, 2 lavs, tub trim. walked into the kitchen. ole geezer was done and working on the WH
DAMN!! I gotta tighten UP!!

we always run the vents to the back of the house.
no vents out the front.
Mr Frank topped out a house.
terry asked who the hell topped out lot<<<<
and put the vents out the front????
Mr Frank said I DID...You want the damn vent out the back, dont put the kitchen in the front!!!!!!

Terry said to me, in a low voice, Go by there and offset them vents. that Old bastad!!

Mexicans are great.they get the job done at low cost.we are not spoiled like the white people that want everything handed to them.just got you got youre licence dosent mean anyone owes you anything.put in some work and quit sucking on americas titis.

Mexicans are great.they get the job done at low cost.we are not spoiled like the white people that want everything handed to them.just got you got youre licence dosent mean anyone owes you anything.put in some work and quit sucking on americas titis.

are you speaking for all mexicans? even mexicans you do not know?
some mexicans are ok, some are not
some white guys are ok some are not

the problem i have, is illegal aliens, doing journeymen work at helper pay.

you leave a country that pays a very low wage, has no benefits, your children are hungry, you can not afford a truck or a washing machine
you come to another country, instead of trying to make as much money as you can, you SETTLE for making half
of what you should be paid.
then, ***** at me, for questioning why in the hell you do it.
you are being ripped off by your boss and are happy about it.

why do you say that a wage of 25 dollars an hour ,is me sucking a tit?
do you think so little of your self that you think all you are worth is 10 dollars an hour?

I have been handed nothing in my life,
I have 35 years as a plumber, my experience and knowledge is worth more than 10 dollars an hour
I usually jefe a crew of 20 or more on big jobs like prisons, colleges, or Air Force bases.

your boss, is paying you ****, but he collects from the client full price for your work.
is that ok with you?

please explain to me, what you mean by the white guy wanting everything handed to him?
i do not get welfare, no food stamps, i work for very dollar i make
i refuse to be taken advantage of , by a greedy boss
it is called CAPITALISM, that is what we do here in the US

I WILL NEVER STOP SUCKING ON CHI CHI"S
i love chi chi's ese !..grande chi chi's. mucho bueno
aligerar hombre subrayando que para mucho

Last edited:
are you speaking for all mexicans? even mexicans you do not know?
some mexicans are ok, some are not
some white guys are ok some are not

the problem i have, is illegal aliens, doing journeymen work at helper pay.

you leave a country that pays a very low wage, has no benefits, your children are hungry, you can not afford a truck or a washing machine
you come to another country, instead of trying to make as much money as you can, you SETTLE for making half
of what you should be paid.
then, ***** at me, for questioning why in the hell you do it.
you are being ripped off by our boss and are happy about it.

why do you say that a wage of 20 dollars an hour ,is me sucking a tit?
do you think so little of your self that you think all you are worth is 10 dollars an hour?

I have been handed nothing in my life,
I have 35 years as a plumber, my experience and knowledge is worth more than 10 dollars an hour
I usually jefe a crew of 20 or more on big jobs like prisons, colleges, or Air Force bases.

your boss, is paying you ****, but he collects from the client full price for your work.
is that ok with you?

please explain to me, what you mean by the white guy wanting everything handed to him?

I WILL NEVER STOP SUCKING ON CHI CHI"S
i love chi chi's ese !..grande chi chi's. mucho bueno
aligerar hombre subrayando que para mucho

antes de empezar a llamarme blanco
ve que usted está hablando con ese

4195-64     me.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few Mexicans that work for me and they came from Mexico. They make the most out of all my guys because if their work ethic and knowledge. There's Mexicans and there are illegals if which those are the ones that work for less, at least here in ca.

Back