LG Nipple

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
2 1/2" nipple is 1/4" too long.

Need a 2 1/4" nipple to connect from drop ear to Delta supply elbow for handheld shower.
Found a Henny Penny 1/2" x 2 1/4" LG Hospital nipple. Has anyone heard of this product?
Would that be compatible with a brass drop ear?

If you do this ^^ be careful, if over tightening you could break the solder connection.

Try a two inch nipple, and just add several extra wraps of teflon tape on each end, plus goop the female threads with pipe dope.
This will make the shorter nipple tighten up sooner, and it should not need to be inserted as far into either female end.

If you do this ^^ be careful, if over tightening you could break the solder connection.

This is incorrect.

The joint would be severely over tightened and you’d probably split the one of the fittings you’re screwing over it first.....

You would only use approximately 1” of pipe between the male adapters.

This would be extremely strong.

Have you ever done this or just going by ???????

Making it the right size so you’re not trying to compensate by wrapping it with Teflon 100 times or cranking it down so it fits because it’s too long is key to easy, successful and lasting install.

Try a two inch nipple, and just add several extra wraps of teflon tape on each end, p lus goop the female threads with pipe dope.
This will make the shorter nipple tighten up sooner, and it should not need to be inserted as far into either female end.

I've read that typically thread nipple into elbow part way then thread into drop ear and they will tighten together and a better chance of getting the hook up in the 6 o'clock position. I've tried barely threading into the nipple first and then threading into the drop-ear but there does not seem to be sufficient thread to catch the drop-ear threads.

Is there a minimum about of penetration needed on each end or as long as it gets tight, then that will suffice?

The fitting should allow the nipple to make three complete revolutions before it stops while assembling dry with your fingers.

Is that true with everything you’ll come across. Nope.

It’s a shower connection, you don’t have to kill it. Get it good and snug with a little teflon and a touch of pipe dope and rock with it.

Try a few different two inch and 2.5 inch nipples.

And if your two inch nipple is not catching at all, with the other end barely started, a 2.5 inch should work.

Maybe your nipple is too rough surfaced and can’t tighten well, so try different nipples.

Are you using brass nipples, or what?

Excellent solution, however, I do not solder (poor excuse). Most likely could find a plumber in area to knock it out for me.
Maybe time to learn,

Clean
Flux
Assemble
Heat
Solder
Clean
It’s that simple.

This is incorrect.

The joint would be severely over tightened and you’d probably split the one of the fittings you’re screwing over it first.....

You would only use approximately 1” of pipe between the male adapters.

This would be extremely strong.

Have you ever done this or just going by ???????

Making it the right size so you’re not trying to compensate by wrapping it with Teflon 100 times or cranking it down so it fits because it’s too long is key to easy, successful and lasting install.
It is not incorrect. I have seen it happen with an overzealous person. It was a warning. It COULD happen.

It is not incorrect. I have seen it happen with an overzealous person. It was a warning. It COULD happen.

You’ve seen it happen. That tells me what’s up. Thank you.

Like I said, it will not break the solder joint. You might twist the whole pipe up and off but you won’t break a proper solder joint. And you almost have to be trying to destroy it while you’re twisting it off......

Big facts......not opinion.

This is a calibrated torque wrench that I assemble AR-15’s with.

I’m about to make the OP’s nipple out of copper.

Then I’m going to put a steel fitting into a vise and tighten it hopefully to failure with my torque wrench.

Torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft pounds. A measurement of rotational force.

So tune in and get the results in an hour or so........let’s see how tight you can get it before a failure.
9B8F4B94-B5DE-492E-A3A4-2ED49BF2E233.jpeg

Getting closer to the test....🤓. Prepping.....type m copper. 6E4EFBAE-7573-406B-873B-614E0874F515.jpeg

The pipe failed before the solder joint. As I already knew.....🤷‍♂️

I do not know what torque it failed at. I set the wrench to 150 and made my pull. It was TIGHT snd I didn’t use any pipe dope or Teflon. Dry assembled.

I’m going to do another test to see what torque it actually fails at or close......F0DA6DBF-5811-4873-A4DD-0D4CAF4797C4.jpeg0FD4F8A1-27BD-4B23-920C-6276A6E68E2B.jpeg

Here is another test . Same pipe snd fittings. Everything. I even cooled the joint with water immediately to make the solder joint weaker possibly.

What torque do you think it failed at ? B06CB3E0-A7DE-4097-8CB9-4BAAAAA89827.jpegCBFF842B-3279-4B51-AF43-B6998DCB7FA7.jpeg

The pipe failed before the solder joint. As I already knew.....🤷‍♂️

I do not know what torque it failed at. I set the wrench to 150 and made my pull. It was TIGHT snd I didn’t use any pipe dope or Teflon. Dry assembled.

I’m going to do another test to see what torque it actually fails at or close......View attachment 28221View attachment 28222

Yes, at 73 it is time.
I think I have tried, maybe failed, many challenges life presents.
What type torch will I need? I may not do many more, but this isn't the time to be penny wise.
Thank you.

PS
Glad to see I've stimulated some experimentation.

Curious, how many pounds of torque do you think the average man has with his dominant hand?

Notice how many threads is showing on that make adapter. Like 2......

I imagine if you tef’d it and doped it you could bottom it out. I fit those dry.

You’ve seen it happen. That tells me what’s up. Thank you.

Like I said, it will not break the solder joint. You might twist the whole pipe up and off but you won’t break a proper solder joint. And you almost have to be trying to destroy it while you’re twisting it off......

Big facts......not opinion.
I don't remember saying the solder joint. However, yes, you may twist the copper.

Yes, at 73 it is time.
I think I have tried, maybe failed, many challenges life presents.
What type torch will I need? I may not do many more, but this isn't the time to be penny wise.
Thank you.

PS
Glad to see I've stimulated some experimentation.

Curious, how many pounds of torque do you think the average man has with his dominant hand?

82D6BC5A-EC47-422A-A9B5-A75EBFC458E5.jpeg

Any cheap plumbing torch will work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back