Leveling a Toilet Front to Back

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next, I softened up my wax donut by letting it sit in some warm water (it's freaking cold in Texas today and I left the thing in the garage). Once the wax was no longer frozen, I put it in place, set the toilet by rocking it and making sure it was "all the way down" on the floor this time :D. I put the shims in place where I marked (blue tape) and tightened the nuts, snugging them down.

I added the Alex caulk and smoothed it out with a wet finger and wet paper towels to get a nice line.

I'm much happier with the result this time. I Guess this old carpenter can pretend to be a plumber after all! :cool:

:eek:

That explains why she wouldn't set right... :D

:eek:
That explains why she wouldn't set right... :D (the frozen wax)

On the initial install, the wax was not frozen, it crushed OK, just not as much as I should have crushed it. I certainly learned a few things with this project.

When I have this problem or a big caulk joint I always shim it if it needs it then have the tile guys grout it with the same color grout on thenfloor

Use dry wall mud either premixed or mix your own. Then push as much as you can under the toilet base as far back as you can. Then wipe up the outside and floor with water and a rag. let dry before you set on it and presto your level.
This is what we did in the 1960's.

Back