Leaky Shower Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg1120

Reaction score
I just bought a house built in 2013 and the master bathroom shower drain is leaking. The shower is a fiberglass stand up shower. I am trying to figure out the best way to replace the shower drain. I am having trouble removing it because it seems as if every piece was glue into place. I have attached a couple photos.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20181113_131653.jpg
    20181113_131653.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20181113_131657.jpg
    20181113_131657.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 9
Step in the shower, does the floor flex?
their are 2 places it could be leaking, one is where the drain connects to the tub
the other is where the drain connects to the drain pipe

you have to figure out of the 2 which one is leaking
to do this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-P...5c&gclid=CNGfvZ-o0t4CFZSjZQodO4YFqw&gclsrc=ds
put in the drain and tighten, fill shower with water
if it leaks, it is the drain to fiberglass, if it does not, it is the pipe to drain

Step in the shower, does the floor flex?
their are 2 places it could be leaking, one is where the drain connects to the tub
the other is where the drain connects to the drain pipe

you have to figure out of the 2 which one is leaking
to do this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-PlugAll-1-5-in-to-2-in-Mechanical-Test-and-Seal-Plug-10839/304016922?cm_mmc=Shopping|B|Base|D29B|29-23_FIXTURES|NA|PLA|71700000033640685|58700003909528701|92700031449048841&msclkid=b6a5aecdaa031e50005ff526e847815c&gclid=CNGfvZ-o0t4CFZSjZQodO4YFqw&gclsrc=ds
put in the drain and tighten, fill shower with water
if it leaks, it is the drain to fiberglass, if it does not, it is the pipe to drain
Thank you, Im gonna test this soon. Do you have any advice on how to remove the drain housing unit if it is glued in?

look in the drain,,,,you should see a nutdrain.jpg
put a screwdriver into 2 slots, cross the screwdrivers as shown like the x in red on picture
you just made a tool...keeping them crossed, turn both at same time to act as a wrench to unscrew tht nut

but do not do that till you figure out what is leaking
that is a compression joint not a glue joint, under that nut is a rubber ring that is compressed by the nut

look in the drain,,,,you should see a nutView attachment 19008
put a screwdriver into 2 slots, cross the screwdrivers as shown like the x in red on picture
you just made a tool...keeping them crossed, turn both at same time to act as a wrench to unscrew tht nut

but do not do that till you figure out what is leaking
that is a compression joint not a glue joint, under that nut is a rubber ring that is compressed by the nut
Thank you, I tried this and even used the small square tool made for the Nut. It wont budge.

next step....get the dermal out and cut the nut

then go buy the same drain that is in there so you can steal the parts off of it

being careful not to cut stuff you do not want cut...i usually stop short, then use a screwdriver to
pry the rest of the way so as not to fug up the threads

next step....get the dermal out and cut the nut

then go buy the same drain that is in there so you can steal the parts off of it

being careful not to cut stuff you do not want cut...i usually stop short, then use a screwdriver to
pry the rest of the way so as not to fug up the threads
That is a good idea. Thank you for your expeditious responses

Latest posts

Back