Leaky old NYC Tub Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigD021

Reaction score
Hi All,

Out of nowhere, I have been having a constant leak in the tub that has been getting worse and causing mold to build in the tub. It appears that only the cold water is leaking but cannot be completely sure. I live in an old building in NYC and am unsure what needs to be done to stop the leak. If anyone could help identify the steps and parts needed to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if any additional pictures or detail is needed. Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 16
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 18
Are you renting???????if so call your landlord
1. Look on the wall behind the tub valve for an access panel so you can isolate the hot and cold
2.remove the stem check it's condition, if worn relpace it if not there maybe a black rubber washer at the end of the stem, change it,

3. While the stem is out put a flashlight into the valve body and check for seats to see if the are nicked,

I pulled the diverter in my shower to identify the make. Didn't have to shut off the hot or cold water.

Reason why I was asking about renting owning if you rent, have your landlord make the repairs,if you own ,take the pictures and the stem to a plumbing supply house and see if they can identify get both stems

I own but don’t know my ass from my elbow when it comes to plumbing. I asked the building maintance man for some guidance and got a response of “call a plumber” so you have already been more helpful than him.

The Super Said all the Cutoffs for hot and cold are controlled in the basement and if I got a plumber he would need to shut off the water from down there.

You can check underneath your sink for tile/wall stop valves which if there will control the water supply to your tub.

Better off having a plumber look into it,he will know what to look for and has more experience with shutting down older valves, if you break them in the closed position, you may leave other people with out water

Latest posts

Back