Leaky main water shut off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblc123

Reaction score
2018-10-04 21.46.13.jpg 2018-10-04 21.46.17.jpg 2018-10-04 21.46.20.jpg 2018-10-04 21.46.40.jpg 2018-10-04 21.46.44.jpg Howdy

The main water shut off coming into my basement has began to leak. My problem is that the shut off value is attached to the pipe as soon as it comes out of the block wall. Therefore, this leaves me no room to cut the valve off and attach a new one. Thoughts? Ideas? Also, what is the device that is attached to the pipe before the shut off value? Is it an old pressure regulator? Whatever it is, its rusted pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would dig down outside to meter and replace line. Or at minimum find next threaded fitting in dirt and pray you can back it off without breaking. Once galvanized starts leaking. It’s all the same age and same amount of work. You might get a wrench on pipe to stop it from turning and a larger wrench on valve and maybe thread off. But that doesn’t look likely.

That looks like an old ground clamp. If that is galvanized I would also suggest replacing the line. Some guys would hook on
right outside with a compression coupling but that's something I myself wouldn't do.

Back