Leaky Corrugated Drain pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starcraft27

Reaction score
When digging in the garden one of the 3" Corrugated solid drain pipes that runs from a rain water spout away from the house was hit. I thought this would be an easy repair with a coupler and new pipe. After digging up around the pipe I noticed it was T'd with another spout which wasn't a problem. I decided the best way to fix was to put new pipe from the T and couple where the pipe was in good condition.

I got the same 3" pipe and a coupler and proceeded to fix the problem. I correctly coupled the repair and rain water through it to test. It is leaking at the coupler I repaired and at the T on both sides where the water runs. Is there a type of sealant or Duct tape I can use to stop these leaks? I'm not talking a drip but a steady stream where a lot is being lost before it drains at the bottom of the driveway where it should. I tried zip ties and was even considering silicone sealant.

The standard fitting for corrugated that you can purchase at Home Depot or the like is meant for a leachfield. These fittings are in no way watertight.

Corrugated pipe can be joined with a neoprene gasket that fits inside of the corrugations, then the end of the pipe is pushed into a fitting. This type of joint is meant to be watertight. I do not know if that type of joining system is available in 3", maybe someone else can chime in.

Thanks, Further research shows these pipes work best without joints on long runs. I have also read that the dirt when packed around it will seal it and water will flow the path of least resistance through the pipe.

I think my solution is going to be cement. A few people through my google searches cemented all joints to be leak free and it also helps with them pulling out from each other. If anybody has any other ideas before I do this please chime in. But I can't see this going wrong, and its cheap too.

cement wont seal the pipe, but you are right in that water will take the path of least resistance.

I don't see how cement wouldn't plug a such a low pressure leak. People use it for pond bases all the time. What about plastic roofing cement? I have a pale of Henrys in the garage.

Fixing a leak in a pipe requires fixing of the pipe walls integrity IMO

Thanks liquid,

I cemented all joints thickly and no more leakage. I think if I would have packed dirt around it all when buried since it is going to be anyway I would have ended with same result.

The pipes integrity was never in question. The corrugated drain pipe from the depot just isn't all that great for joints. Long runs are work fine.

Back