Leaky bathtub - BUT NOT when showering

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
I'm just hoping I can get some advice.
My bathtub leaks.
BUT
I can have a shower and it doesn't leak.
If the tub is even half full it will leak (leading me to believe its not the overflow pipe).

Can anyone explain this to me and suggest a fix?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Is it possible it is just leaking water from the stopper, which is not working properly? We will,need more info and pics to help us.

When you say it leaks, from where does it seem to be leaking? Or rather, where is the water appearing to show that it is leaking?

Is water coming out on the floor somewhere or is water just draining from the tub?

A photo of the tub and the surrounding area could help people spot obvious problems.

The tub is leaking into the basement ceiling.
I don't believe its the surround that's leaking as its not tile or grout and I don't see any cracks in it.
I think its a leak in the pipe or the drain perhaps.
Are these photos helpful?

10301132_10153407243712333_2791645339343761591_n.jpg
12417582_10153407243742333_3923001801806821987_n.jpg

Hmm.. Maybe there is a break or disconnect in the overflow pipe inside the wall or floor?

I would say its the seal between the tub and the tub strainer. Typically those dont leak on just showers but if the tub is full of water it will leak because the water is still and has nowhere to go.

I would say its the seal between the tub and the tub strainer. Typically those dont leak on just showers but if the tub is full of water it will leak because the water is still and has nowhere to go.

That sounds like the culprit. I'll try to seal it better and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back