leaking toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is code to caulk or grout, all fixtures to the wall or floor

had an inspector in Tittusville fla.
he would ask for your license , drop it on the floor, with the toe of his boot he would edge it towards the toilet, if it went under the toilet.

he would tell you after you get it out, call for a reinspection

believe me, that will only happen to you one time,

...damn...

What was he, an ex drill sergeant?

I didn't know it was code. It isn't done around here (house is about five tears old now).

I like to caulk the bowl to the floor, but leave the rear section not caulked so as if a leak developed, you should see it before the basement does... :cool:

SREX2004Y_installed.jpg

:rolleyes: BTW-...

Make sure the bowl is level after tightening down (hopefully sub-floor is level and in good condition and flange is properly secured).

And here is another good idea diddy to save the sub-floor-

That is what I call a "turd choker"

You have a point. Aren't there just spacers available?

Yeah, you can buy those Souix chief ones, they work fine, we've never had a go back, but I'm still iffy about them.

I'm not against "chokers" but I put one in my house, and the daily dump don't want to go down everyday lmao.

...damn...

What was he, an ex drill sergeant?

I didn't know it was code. It isn't done around here (house is about five tears old now).

I like to caulk the bowl to the floor, but leave the rear section not caulked so as if a leak developed, you should see it before the basement does... :cool:

I do the same thing! Caulk looks great, but you gotta leave that gap where you can see a wax ring failure, that is unless you want the Sheetrock falling before you find the leak!!

I'm not against "chokers" but I put one in my house, and the daily dump don't want to go down everyday lmao.

I've heard plumbers on this board also advise not using the wax rings with the funnel also. Makes perfect sense once you dwell on it... :cool:

Simply put (IMO), they are just a cover-up for a flange height that should be corrected. What if the spacer(s) got the final flange height too high? Then you have to shim or rock n' roll... :eek:

Depending on the chemical make up in the water (chlorine etc) the funnel could also curl and cause a blockage over time.

it makes the drain hole smaller. if the drain hole is smaller that would be considered an obstruction.

sometimes, after a good meal, i do not need a drain obstruction

you wind up either using a closet auger or poking it with a stick....i'd rather not

Most wax ring/flange problem leaks are small enough that the leak will not show around the base of the toilet unless the drain line to the toilet becomes clogged. I have seen leaks that have obviously been occurring since initial install finally show 10 years down the road, in the drywall ceiling below.

Latest posts

Back