Leaking Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattsse

Reaction score
Hello all, I appreciate any advice you can offer.

I have a small bathroom with 1' square tiles, when we moved in about 9 months ago there was evidence the toilet was leaking from underneath, down the grout lines into the supply vent. The toilet was old and I replaced it with an American Standard toilet. I used the standard wax gasket, after a month or so I would notice an occasional small leak in the front. Pulled the toilet and put in a foam ring, same deal, leaked about a month later. Next I pulled the toilet, checked the ring and noticed the flange was low on one side, so I put in a flange extension to get it above the tile, a new wax ring and shimmed the toilet with plastic shims. Again good for a month or two, this morning I was sitting on the toilet, shifted my weight and water came out the front, first time in about two months but sudden.

I don't know if it's the water height after there are some solids in the toilet, or the uneven tile floor, or needing better/more shims. The only thing I have left to try (that I can think of) is to try a wax ring without the funnel (horn).

Does anyone have any ideas? I've set a good dozen toilets and have never had one leak, I know it must be the combination of an uneven floor and a non level flange. I'm just out of ideas (aside from replacing the floor and the flange altogether, or not using a horn).

Thanks so much for any ideas!

Matt

I'm guessing the tile raised the floor, and your connection is now about 1/2 inch lower. Go get yourself a double thick wax ring, with a funnel design, and I'm certain your problems will go away.

if your toilet moves when you shift your weight
that is the problem, it is not bolted tightly to the floor
a toilet should not move, if it does, then the wax ring seal will be compromised

I call those toilets R&R rock an roll
reset your toilet, verify it is not leaking
buy some grout, and mix it up
apply the grout, under all cracks, like a bead of caulking around the toilet
leave a 1'' or 2'' gap in the grout on the back side of the terlet, if it leaks, the water will come out here and you can see it.
after the grout sets up it will not R&R

Back