leaking pipe under the wash basin.........

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry KULTULZ - did I use the wrong terminology here? I'm confused? I was told (by a licensed plumber in my area) to use a little bit of plumbing dope on the threads of these fittings - not really to create a seal, but to lubricate the threads, and make it easier to tighten. When I tighten these threaded connections 'dry', it tends to bind up, and is difficult to fully tighten. If you add a very small amount of dope on the threads, it is smooth as silk. Is this wrong?

Sorry if I gave Windy bad advice.

Solid,

I am sorry you took this wrong. It was an attempt at humor regarding Windy.

I was just pulling her leg (and hoping she doesn't kick).

To Wit-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid

Windy, I would pick up some plumbing dope...while you're at the home improvement store.

:eek:

Gee...

I would love to help her if she comes in but I am no dope... :confused:

I haven't the knowledge to recommend most anything to anyone.

My apologies... :eek:

Ha, no worries. I'm not sure why I didn't get that the first time around!

I'm sorry KULTULZ - did I use the wrong terminology here? I'm confused? I was told (by a licensed plumber in my area) to use a little bit of plumbing dope on the threads of these fittings - not really to create a seal, but to lubricate the threads, and make it easier to tighten. When I tighten these threaded connections 'dry', it tends to bind up, and is difficult to fully tighten. If you add a very small amount of dope on the threads, it is smooth as silk. Is this wrong? Sorry if I gave Windy bad advice.

My hands are getting weaker as I get older. And laying on the ground under that basin is awkward. I will get some of that stuff if it makes the job easier. I get all P***ed off when I do a home repair job and it doesn't work right. LOL

Ha, no worries. I'm not sure why I didn't get that the first time around!

I didn't get that, either. :( I just envisioned walking into the hardware store and asking them if they have any dope to sell me. :eek:

My hands are getting weaker as I get older. And laying on the ground under that basin is awkward. I will get some of that stuff if it makes the job easier. I get all P***ed off when I do a home repair job and it doesn't work right. LOL

I didn't get that, either. :( I just envisioned walking into the hardware store and asking them if they have (just) any dope to sell me. :eek:

I may be easy, but certainly not cheap... ;)

I just envisioned walking into the hardware store and asking them if they have any dope to sell me. :eek:

The stuff comes in a small bottle, and the one that I have has a small brush built into the lid. I just put a small amount on the threads and it made it easier for me to tighten down. This apparently isn't necessary, but I believe it helps.

Windy, you can do this. Get down there and take care of this problem! We are all just waiting for you to update this post so we can admire your repair, and move on with our lives.

Too bad you don't live in So. Cal, I'd come over and fix it for you.

If you did I'd bake you cookies.

Windy, you can do this. Get down there and take care of this problem! We are all just waiting for you to update this post so we can admire your repair, and move on with our lives.

Give me a bit. I'll get to it.......

Latest posts

Back