Leaking pan collar

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menny

Reaction score
What would be the best way to temporarily fix a a leaking toilet, that leaks from where it goes into a cast iron collar.
The toilet is cemented onto the floor so I don’t want to take it off and put a rubber because the toilet might break.
I’ve tried to epoxy it but it’s still leaking.
Is there some sort of silicone that still works on wet surfaces and that dries very quickly because they are still going to us the toilet, that I can use to fill in the gaps where it’s leaking from the epoxy?
Thanx.

We don't much cement fixtures to floors in jurisdictions that adhere to the plumbing codes.
This is a plumbing forum. Expoy for a leaking toilet is not plumbing.
Your local hardware store might have something.

It's cemented to the floor? With concrete? What!?!?!? Lol.

If you silicone it, or whatever, you're just adding to the mess that'll need to get cleaned up to reset, or replace the toilet, which is your only real fix. All the silicone in the world won't stop the toilet leaking into your floor; you'd just be damming up the water.

The original poster lives in Australia. Maybe this is common down there....I don't know?

By “cemented”, he might mean glued or bonded with adhesive.
Cement can be a synonym for adhesive.

Either way, the toilet has to come up, whether it breaks or not.
Creating a pool of sewer sludge dammed up with caulk will never work.

Thanx for the advice.
Most toilets in older building over here are cemented to the floor with sand and cement.
It’s a p trap toilet not an s trap I was thinking maybe if I clean the cast iron pipe and caulk around it that could be a temporary fix.

So the toilet drains out the back, not out the bottom?

Either way, any kind of goop applied as a patch like will fail.
The only thing that might hold for a while would be a marine polyurethane, they are used for sealing penetrations in boat hulls.
And they will stick to damp surfaces, but only if they are CLEAN.
They are usually white color, thick texture, dries semi-flexible, comes in squeeze tube or caulking gun tube.

Why is it doomed to fail.
If I seal it and test it and it’s not leaking do you think it’ll start leaking again in a couple months?

Latest posts

Back