Leaking p trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblc123

Reaction score
All

I have a p-trap that's leaking under my kitchen sink. It's the schedule 40 stuff, so I can't just unscrew some nuts and replace everything easily. The yellow circle is where the leak is. The red circle is where I assume I would need to cut the pvc in order to replace the p trap. The problem is if I cut on the red circle, I don't think I will have enough meat left to glue a new fitting on. Anyone have any recommendations? How would you handle this situation? I already tried tightening the nut. I also took it apart and scraped off the gunk with a wire brush. The whole drain system under the sink looks similar where I don't think I have a place to cut and still have room to glue a new fitting. I really don't want to replace the entire plumbing system under the sink.

Attachments

• plum.png
    plum.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
I agree. You should be able to use some dope and get that to seal back up. Loosen the tailpiece and tighten the problem nut FIRST. Get the trap screwed back together and sealed up, leave the tailpiece loose but still together. Then tighten the tailpiece.

A beer drinker quick fix is take the p trap apart . glue both sides sides of the adjustable nut and screw together really fast . then wait one minute and see if it leaks , some time this works, if not change the ptrap.

Thanks. I ended up using pipe dope and it seems to have worked!

Back