Leaking irrigation lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsdalntx

Reaction score
I inherited the irrigation system from a previous owner and I am constantly running into leaky lines. It seems whoever installed the system didn't glue the pipes together. The last leak I discovered was when I tried to shut down a zone by turning off most of the heads (still needed a couple of heads to work). The back pressure caused a leak when the zone turned on.

Is there any reason why the pipes should not be glued together?

Last edited:
In Michigan where I came from, irrigation systems were never glued together except by the incompetent. Hose barb fittings and clamps were the norm. Flexible pipe was the norm, and this pipe was usually installed with a pipe puller.

Here in North Carolina they do things very differently. Mostly they use pressure PVC pipe and it’s glued together. They almost never use a pipe puller they love to dig trenches and completely destroy landscaping in the process of installing an irrigation system. They also seem to charge a lot more money for doing an irrigation system here than in Michigan mostly because of the labor involved in trenching is my guess.

One neighbor had an irrigation system installed this year and I watched the painful process. It took a very long time with all the trenching and when they were done there was not a single blade of grass left on her front lawn. Totally destroyed to the point where it had to be sodded.

(I should note that they seem to love to trench for everything around here, and in new construction they rarely coordinate so you might have separate trenching for every utility and thing entering and leaving your house.)

Latest posts

Back