Leaking Flush Tank at Bolts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qosmioamit

Reaction score
Hi
I have a flush tank that is leaking from the bolt that mounts the flush tank to the toilet. I tried tightening the bolt but that didn't help. There are two bolts, one on either side. Only one side is leaking. Any ideas on how to fix this? Can I apply some silicone sealant or do I need to take apart the whole flush tank?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

You might also want to replace the big spongy gasket that connects the tank to the bowl.

The old gasket is often dried up and gets crumbly when the tank comes off.

Only if you choose that style of kit.

You can buy tank bolts and washers kits, or just a tank to bowl gasket, or a kit with everything.

Update: I replaced the rusty old bolts with new brass ones but my problem is not resolved. The actual tank is cracked I think. I don't want to buy a new tank. Do you have any other suggestions?20201126_195740.jpg

Put some food coloring in the tank, preferably blue or green. If there’s a crack it will show up. If the tank is cracked it needs to be replaced. If you can’t get a new tank you need a new toilet. If its not cracked the dye will help you see where the water is coming from.

Latest posts

Back