Leaking fireplace natural gas line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Last December, I hired a General Contractor to remove the 1/2" black pipe in my attic and replace it with 3/4" black pipe, in order to increase the volume of natural gas into the fireplace. Last week, my kids were over for a visit and told me they could smell gas emitting from the attic. (I guess living here, I got use to the smell?)

So today, with my blown knees and all, I went up into the attic and found that the bonehead GC had cross threaded a 20' length of black pipe, and turned it only one turn into the pipe. Furthermore, he installed a coupling union, which I know is illegal. I had a major gas leak from two separate areas of my attic! Why my house didn't blow up, I'll never know.

I know I should call him back and demand he repair it correctly, but he is such an idiot, I really question whether he is a GC or just piggybacked on a real GC's license. I am really pissed, and would like other GC's to tell me what they would do if they were in my shoes.

I removed the union and capped the pipe, so I don't have a gas leak anymore, but it will take a full day in the attic to correct his wrong doings. :mad:

Well, 4 hours crawling around in the attic and everything is now correct. The new pipe has no unions, every joint has a good coat of Rectorseal # 5, the pipe is correctly positioned over a joist, it is secured using clamps every 4 feet, and now has a dedicated shut off using a nice, shiny gate valve. My back and knees are sore, and I lost my favorite aluminum pipe wrench when it fell down the fireplace cavern, and is now a permanent fixture behind my fireplace. GC's in my house, never again!

I'm a little slow on a comment but here's my 2 cents worth.
When We ( as in the company I work for ) do any modification to gas system we almost always disconnect all appliances,disconnect the meter, remove the gas shut off valves, cap the lines, and pressure test the system first to make sure we do not have any existing leaks. When we're done modifying the system we retest. If the system is tight and no leaks We reconnect the appliances.
Take the guy to court and try to get a refund. But Then again you have to have proof he Messed up.

Your company sounds like a top notch company. Thank you for reaffirming my beliefs in contractors. If someone in La Verne asked for work to be done, would you respond, or would it be too far of a drive?

Latest posts

Back