Leaking Delta shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skald89

Reaction score
I tried watching videos to fix a leaky shower. My delta shower is very different than all the videos. Does anyone know how to fix one?

I tried and the leak is worse now. When I put the replacement stem, it will not sit flush and tight in the pipe. I don't know what to do and I am not sure exactly which way to put it in. I can hear the water running from the handle.

This is the replacement part I bought from HD: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-3S-16H-C-Faucet-Stem-for-Delta-10474/203148565

WP_20180307_15_00_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20180307_15_01_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20180307_16_31_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20180307_16_31_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20180309_16_53_03_Pro.jpg

return that part to Home Depot never buy off brand parts
bring the old stem to a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE
they will help you out are there springs and caps in there also???

if its a water bsed caulking i usually let it sit in hot water for a few minutes then caulk wipe with a clean sponge it will be very easy to work wth

Last edited:
return that part to Home Depot never buy off brand parts
bring the old stem to a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE
they will help you out are there springs and caps in there also???

There is also a spring inside with a cap over. I replaced that part as well. I am trying to get in touch with Delta to find out the exact part number. I could just buy it from them. I do't know where I have PSH near me.

Here is the comparison of the replacement part with my original.

Shower comparison.jpg

Delta told me the correct replacement model. I swapped it out with that, and put plumbers grease on the seal, seat, and spring. The leak has stopped.

Now to figure out how to recaulk the tub and around the shower handle.

The above video is how I do it as well. Yes, it takes a few minutes longer, but the results are awesome.

That stuff is good for what you need it for. Also, in that video, the lady kept the tape nearly 1/2" away from the corner. I like to tape the tub no more than 1/4" away, which makes even a cleaner line and professional looking.

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back