Leaking Centerset Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher1212

Reaction score
Hi! I've installed a Kohler centerset faucet (twice) and it's leaking from the middle hole underneath the sink when the faucet is left running. It's a drip every 6 seconds. Everything's tightened down and there appears to be a good seal (used plumber's putty).

When the faucet is turned off there is no leak. The faucet is new and doesn't appear to be damaged. I blew in it to check for air escaping and didn't notice any. Any ideas?

Time to return that faucet, it is doomed.
If you start taking it apart to look for a leak, you won’t be able to return it.

If you bought it “as is” or used, or on clearance, you got screwed.

Look for your receipt.

Talk to the seller if you can’t find receipt, they might be able to look up the sale.

I purchased a new Moen faucet similar to that. Once I installed it, it leaked like a sieve from the underside . I called the company, and they tried to say I damaged it. I took a pic of the underside of the faucet, where it obviously slipped inspection and there was a big void where a plastic tube was missing, and suddenly they were my best friend. They called the local Home Depot and authorized me to purchase any faucet I wanted, and paid me to ship the faucet back to them. I believe someone's neck was going to be in the ringer after that error. Bottom line is mistakes happen, and people fail to do their job sometimes. Return it as defective.

Can you un screw the aerator and run the faucet to see if it leaks then.

Update: I took out the pressure regulator/aerator and the leak stopped. It's been almost 24 hrs of regular use with no leaks. I'm wondering if the psi was too high for the faucet with the regulator in it?

Some lavatory faucets like that have a goofy spout design.

Instead of being a solid spout, there is a decorative hollow shell spout, with a plain rough pipe running up through it.

And if there is any leakage at the aerator, it can escape and run through the space between the two and leak out of the base.

Which would still tell me to send the POS faucet back for an exchange.
Immediately, before it looks used.

Sometimes the leak will stop, if the aerator is fully tightened up.

Back