Leaking boiler

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaige

Reaction score
I’ve replaced the pressure release valve and the expansion tank on my boiler, but it leaks over night from the pressure release valve. I go to bed the pan is dry, I wake up it’s got about 24 ounces of water in the pan. Any thought on why and what to fix to stop this?
again it’s not all day it’s just overnight.

Yes, it was replaced with the same model that was on before.

Well I would suggest two things to check.

first is you must ensure that there is no debris inside the pressure relief valve. it’s possible it may not entirely close properly because of junk around the seal. since it is new it’s just a possibility it may need to be cleaned.

The second thing is to ensure that the pressure of your system is not too high. So you will need accurate indications of both temperature and pressure when the system is at full operating potential. You may need to get a professional in with equipment I would not trust the gauge that’s there...

Well I would suggest two things to check.

first is you must ensure that there is no debris inside the pressure relief valve. it’s possible it may not entirely close properly because of junk around the seal. since it is new it’s just a possibility it may need to be cleaned.

The second thing is to ensure that the pressure of your system is not too high. So you will need accurate indications of both temperature and pressure when the system is at full operating potential. You may need to get a professional in with equipment I would not trust the gauge that’s there...
Thanks.

What's the pressure in the boiler can't be over 30psi or it will trigger the relief valve how old is your automatic water feed (assuming) it's a hot water boiler not steam if that's not working properly it can over feed your boiler

Thanks, it seems to be higher than that. I will get a plumber out

Back