Leaking Basement Shower Drain HELP

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessghi22

Reaction score
This post May end up being longish but I want to make sure I thoroughly explain what’s going on.

We have a very old basement shower that started leaking a while back. Originally we thought it was from the obvious shower head back spraying onto the chipping drywall. The shower wall is directly beside our laundry room, the wall itself is unfinished on the laundry room side so you have a clear view of the shower basin and water pipes leading in, the water was coming from under neath the shower basin it appeared. We replaced the shower head using plumbers tape, etc and checked the pipes (no leaks) and then redid the drywall around the top of the shower to repair the chipping section and caulked around the top of the Fiberglass shower basin. Came out beautifully.

The shower is STILL leaking so my next thought is that it’s the shower drain since it is definitely not the basin / tub (it’s a solid piece and we tested it anyways to be sure). I lifted the top drain cover up to try to test it like in the videos I watched said however it is a disgusting rotting mess in there and I haven’t seen anything that looks similar enough to make me feel confident at what I’m exactly looking at. We just spent a lot of money fixing a flood we had a few months back and are hoping we can try to resolve this ourselves since we are both pretty handy and have access to a wide array of tools and equipment.

I took a ton of photos so I’m hoping someone can offer us some advice. I just don’t want to make anything worst and I also want to make sure replacing the drain is a reasonable next step. The pipe inside looks disgustingly rusted and right under the drain cover it’s a rotting mess, possibly rubber rotting away, I am just not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will post photos below.

The white you see instead of black is wheee that black stuff just crumbled. I hope you can see the rotted mess down there. I can’t tell if this gold ring twists off like all the others mentioned l, if it does it is almost fused on at this point but I also didn’t try too terrible hard because I didn’t want to break anything.

Shower is just a solid fiberglass tub.

new shower head

This is the view of the shower basin from laundry room. Leak is coming from where you see the green cloth, well way under there.
Just photos of the pipes themselves, no drips of anything from those and as you can see their in the open.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Does hat piece come off? What replacement drain do I need to get if possible? Is That rust way down inside there a major problem? Should I try replacing this at all? Any help as you can see would be much appreciated. Not even sure where to begin. Can happily go to Lowe’s and purchase any pieces needed. Currently have silicone sealant for tubs showers etc. thank you!!!

the first thing I would do is install a (spin tight) it fits into the drain and tightens by a wing nut ful up the shower and let it sit for a while...….
2nd...drain the shower kneel over the drain see if you can move it around by hand....
the black stuff that's flaking off is it rubber????..
if it is rubber and its no good I would suggest is use lead wool and oakum
oakum comes in strans...you pack it in were the rubber was with a hammer and a flathead screwdriver that fits between the pipe and the strainer make sure the oakum it tight.....leave about a 1/4 inch between the oakum and the top of the drain.....the you pack in the lead wool pack it in tight...….it will become hard after you work it...
the lead holds the oakum in the pipe joint sounds like a lot but its just like a pouredlead joint yeh I know you can install a new rubber gasket but this is permanent
you can remove the rubber gasket with needle nose pliers....
there is also a large nut under the shower base that can loosen up,

Latest posts

Back