Leak underneath bathroom sink.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzer

Reaction score
I’ve delevoped a leak under my bathroom sink. It’s strange because it is coming from between the sink body and the grey plastic ring that secures the faucet to the sink. The supply line connecting to the faucet which is blow the leak is dry. The drip only appears the faucet is open. It only appeared after I installed a new water heater and this is the faucet I used to let air in the heater for draining and was open when filling he new heater. I had to back flush the old heater drain to get it to start draining which pushed water out of the heater through this faucet. Any thoughts on where this lesk
Is coming from. Picture of leak site is attached.

thanks44BE7934-662E-42A6-8EAC-BE8B4D9B7DE9.jpeg

The leak is most likely from the faucet stems or aerator.

Did you remove the aerator ? That’s where the water comes out of the faucet.

Some bathroom sink faucets have a hollow body.
A decorative shell which covers the rough faucet body inside.
When there is a clogged aerator, water can leak inside the shell and collect on the sink deck, then find its way through any openings.

Post a pic of the whole faucet from above.

It could be an old Moen.

Also, your pop up linkage is not connected.

The clevis strap appears to be missing, which connects the lift rod to the pop up drain lever.

Yes aerator was removed before doing anything on water heater. Could I have damaged faucet stem when draining/back flushing or filling tank.

When there is a clogged aerator, water can leak inside the shell and collect on the sink deck, then find its way through any openings.

It could be an old Moen.

The clevis strap appears to be missing, which connects the lift rod to the pop up drain lever.
Yes I know about pop up. I’ll get around to it some day.

It could be an old Moen.

Yeah I know about the pop-up up. I’ll get around to it. Here is the photo of the faucet. 63823EBD-9EC7-4C97-AD48-CC0B4BF9623B.jpeg

Yes aerator was removed before doing anything on water heater. Could I have damaged faucet stem when draining/back flushing or filling tank.
Then the aerator may need tightening. Make sure the aerator has a gasket.

Sometimes when you take them off the gasket stays on the faucet snd then if you walked away it could’ve washed down the drain. You wouldn’t have seen it.
So make sure it’s there.

Sometimes a leak under the faucet is from a failing valve cartridge or stem.
It leaks onto the sink deck and sneaks under the faucet.

Then the aerator may need tightening. Make sure the aerator has a gasket.

Sometimes when you take them off the gasket stays on the faucet snd then if you walked away it could’ve washed down the drain. You wouldn’t have seen it.
So make sure it’s there.
The gasket was missing. I’ve put it in now. I’ll check if it’s made a difference.

The gasket was missing. I’ve put it in now. I’ll check if it’s made a difference.

I had this same service call last week.

$125.00 for Driving over there and installing a new aerator to stop a leak underneath.

I had this same service call last week.

$125.00 for Driving over there and installing a new aerator to stop a leak underneath.
Replacing gasket solved the problem. Now I see what was happening. Water was backing up at the faucet opening between the actual water pipe and the outer faucet layer.
Thanks again for your help

Latest posts

Back