Leak under faucet

Discussion in 'Toilets and Sinks' started by tailgunner, Jan 22, 2020.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jan 22, 2020 #1

tailgunner

tailgunner

tailgunner

Just noticed water leaking from under the loose faucet down to the cabinet below. Faucet was installed in a new construction home 7 years ago. It appears that there is no nut securing the faucet to the underside of the counter. Never saw a faucet installed like that.
    I'm thinking that I will need to disconnect the supply line and install a nut , and possibly a large washer to secure it tightly to the underside of the counter? Is there a standard size nut, etc. Thanks for any input. Bob

Attached Files:

2. Jan 22, 2020 #2

tailgunner

tailgunner

tailgunner

Removed the plastic fitting from the bottom of the faucet . Found it installed upside down with the "wings" of the nut up inside the hole in the granite countertop . Am I missing something?Why do it this way?

3. Jan 22, 2020 #3

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber

Was the water leak just from water running under the loosely mounted faucet?

There is usually a thin plastic seal that sits under the whole faucet, to keep water from running under it.
    Some faucets also need a layer of plumbers putty between the sink/counter and the faucet, as a water seal.

Looks like putting the black plastic retaining nuts on upside down was just a mistake.

They were probably able to tighten them somewhat by hand, but the wings are what give you a good grip.

4. Jan 23, 2020 #4

Geofd

Geofd

Geofd

Moderator Staff Member Professional Supporting Member

you are right they are/were upside down there is a tool called basin buddy,it fits on the end of a socket wrench ,it witty over supply nuts,locking nuts,plastic locking nuts....good luck

5. Jan 23, 2020 #5

tailgunner

tailgunner

tailgunner

Yea, the water was running under the plastic since the faucet was loose. Found out why the nuts were installed upside down . If installed normally , the nuts are too thick, or should I say the hot/cold threaded pipes coming down from the faucet are too short. So the plumber broke the wings off the nuts , turned them upside down so the thick part is up inside the two holes in the granite. With them installed normally , there is only two or three threads left to install the water supply lines. Bob

FYI: the plumbers putty I had said to not use on granite

6. Jan 23, 2020 #6

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber

You can get different putty that will not stain granite. Not oil based.
    Or just use some clear silicone, if there is not a good sealing gasket supplied with the faucet.

Even with the plastic retaining rings mounted upside down, they can be tightened with a good size channel lock type of pliers.

havasu likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted