Leak through Ceiling -- Looking for Advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bds85466

Reaction score
Greetings all --

Last night walking through our dining room I noticed drips from the drywall ceiling. Further inspection showed discoloration and softness around the area also. The location sits right below an upstairs bathroom and the timing was such that we were just finished draining the tub from our kid's bath. If I had to guess I'd say the tub drain over time has degraded but no way to tell for absolute certain without doing full diagnosis. It does appear that someone has patched this area before we moved in.

While I'm typically a DIY dig-in type, I'll be traveling this week and be tied up a lot in the near future. I'm curious if there's advice or recommendations out there on who you would call to help out. Plumber, handyman, etc etc. Local guy or a company? I'm in MN 55387. Assuming it's an easy to locate drain leak and drywall repair what kind of expenses are we talking about ballpark?

Thanks so much!

Open up behind the tub waste/overflow.
Code requires slip-joint w/o to have accessible hatch.
Always to have permanent access from the back side.

I had a similar issue and it ended up being the seal between the tub and the tile. I re-caulked it and the leak stopped. It was basically splash-out on the tub rim. I suspect the tub installation was done poorly by the original builder. Easy to check fill the tub with no one in it, then drain it. If it leaks, it is not what I suggested.

Latest posts

Back