Leak From A Massaging Shower Head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank53

Reaction score
I live in a rental that is part of a private house. In my bathroom is a corner shower unit as shown in the in the first photo below. (Excuse the side orientation. The system uploaded it that way and when I tried to adjust it I just kept receiving a "server error" message).

SHOWER PHOTO: https://www.plumbingforums.com/media/image1.816/

Here is shower head: https://www.plumbingforums.com/media/image3.815/

Here is the side opposite the shower head next to the wall (that's a squeegee in the back of the third photo) : https://www.plumbingforums.com/media/image2.814/

I've lived here for about two years and in the beginning was using the shower head with no problems. Then about a year ago the owner was complaining of a leak going into the basement that a plumber indicated might be coming from my bathroom.

In the end and after some testing it was determined that the leak happens when the shower head is removed and used. As long as it's left in it's place like a fixed shower head there isn't a problem. I was told a fixed head could be put in or that the massage head could be left there but I'd have to use it like a regular shower and not take it out.

I went with option 2 because I work a lot and don't want repair people in and out of here on my days off. Since then I haven't heard from the owner about this which is fine by me as they live in the main part of the house and I don't want to get involved in their maintenance issues. They also claim the plumber charges too much or isn't quite sure how to fix it or some such thing. I'd prefer it be fixed so I could use it but I don't have time for this type of stuff so I compromise. I've never received a straight answer as to why this might be happening.

So my question is why would with this happen? The shower is fiberglass; my feeling is that blasting water on to a fiberglass shell isn't going to cause a leak. Perhaps it's water that escapes over the space between the shower and the wall on the back end?

Today I gave the shower a thorough cleaning and had to remove the head (first time since I was asked not to) to rinse the cleaner off the walls. I made sure to contain it within the shower and I did it today because the owner is on a trip mainly so I don't have to hear anything if there's a problem.

Any advice and/or opinions are most appreciated. Thanks.

Well the way that particular unit is designed,it shouldn't make any difference at all (as far as pipe leakage) whether the head is removed or not.
So as you suspected it has to be getting out either over that back wall or at a seam, if there are any. I would experiment by being careful and notice where the water goes when using by hand.
Could even try stuffing a small rolled towel of something to block that back wall opening.
You're probably a tall person.:D

Well the way that particular unit is designed,it shouldn't make any difference at all (as far as pipe leakage) whether the head is removed or not.
So as you suspected it has to be getting out either over that back wall or at a seam, if there are any. I would experiment by being careful and notice where the water goes when using by hand.
Could even try stuffing a small rolled towel of something to block that back wall opening.
You're probably a tall person.:D
Thanks! I figured that might be it. I’ll give it a shot.

Back