Leak at bottom of Set screw

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhon

Reaction score
I replaced the diverter today because not much water was going to the shower. Replacing the diverter fixed that problem. Now I see a few small drops coming out at the bottom where the set screw is. Is this normal and I never noticed? Its about 1 small drop a second. It does not leak when the shower is on.upload_2019-2-22_20-39-21.jpeg

Is it a big deal? As far as I know the new diverter is slid on as far as it will go as it is right against the tile, and the set screw is snug. The only other thing I can think of is if previous installation set screw was set so tight that it flattened the pipe a bit. What do you mean the water is rolling back? Should I have used plumbers grease?

Is it a big deal? As far as I know the new diverter is slid on as far as it will go as it is right against the tile, and the set screw is snug. The only other thing I can think of is if previous installation set screw was set so tight that it flattened the pipe a bit. What do you mean the water is rolling back? Should I have used plumbers grease?
yes plumbers grease would be good loosen the set screw pull it off and see if the o ring is damaged (rolling back) sometimes the spout pipe is not level and water will drip back along the bottom of the body to the set screw opening

I put the old one back on an ran the water and no leaks, did not even snug the set screw. Could it be that the new one is bad then? I will also try the plumbers grease.

As it turns out it must have been a bad diverter as I just got another one and all seems well. Thanks again Geofd for your input. Never would have thought I could get a bad part, just bad luck.

Back