Lead in my water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eeps

Reaction score
i did a water test for lead in my home and the report says I have 0.019 mg/l. CDC says the maximum amount is 0.015.

1. Do I start freaking out?
2. Is 0.019 a huge difference or minor?
3. I have private well. Who do I call to have this fixed.

Thank you

i did a water test for lead in my home and the report says I have 0.019 mg/l. CDC says the maximum amount is 0.015.

1. Do I start freaking out?
2. Is 0.019 a huge difference or minor?
3. I have private well. Who do I call to have this fixed.

Thank you
I wouldn't freak out but definitely must look into it. It's not cut and dry as with many medical things.

The EPA MCL level is 0.015 mg/L if the water is coming from a community water distribution system and a level of 0.005 mg/L if the water is coming directly from the source into the home.

I would definitely be limiting my drinking water to bottle water. Apparently there are no worries bathing with it.

Have you read this material?
https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-an...information-about-lead-drinking-water#getinto

Was the sample from the well before going through your house piping system?
Was it a cold water sample or had it gone through the water heater?

My water is well, coming from outside my house.

I took the sample from my bathtub, cold water and it was AFTER it was treated from my water softener. I took the sample right away, water wasn’t running long.

Thanks I did read that. Wondering if I should test again but with another company to see results March

What I was thinking was a sample of the water before it goes through anything in the house would determine if the lead is definitely coming out of the well or whether it's picking it up elsewhere.

I saw something that caught my eye...

Disadvantages of home water softening
Can corrode your pipes. The corroded metal ions from the pipes can end up in your water.

Now that's not to say it had anything to do with the presence of lead in your water but you should try to more accurately determine the source, if at all possible.

Latest posts

Back