Leach field question - D-box overflowing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beasleydesignz

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house with a 21 year old pump septic system and stone leach field.

We had the system inspected prior to purchasing and received some bad results regarding possible blockages and root intrusion of the leach field due to some huge oak trees within feet of the D-box and leach lines. During testing, the inspector noticed the d-box overflowing and removed the speed levelers. One line took water better than the other, but they weren’t completely blocked, just slow. He put everything back in its place and we still decided to get the house without any further investigation, cameras, etc.

Over the past few months I noticed that the d-box is overflowing really bad and am wondering if it would help to remove the speed levelers to get more flow?

I dumped a bunch of copper sulfate in the lines but it hasn’t seemed to do anything. A reputable septic guy told me he could try to auger/snake the lines but it might cost up to $1500. If that didn’t work, the field may have to be replaced for thousands more - which I can’t afford right now.

So, what I would like to know is can I completely remove the speed levelers to help with the overflowing? Could it cause any type of damage or worsen the clogs? Could the increased flow possibly aid the copper sulfate by pushing the decomposed roots out?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

The copper sulfate killed your good bacteria. That’s a bad thing.

I believe your field lines are the trouble based off your post. If the field lines are not taking the water then removing the speed levelers won’t do a thing to keep the d box from overflowing.

Use less water, replace the field lines when you can.

If your washing machine is on the septic tank, consider installing a dedicated field line that bypasses the tank. This may not be allowed by code but I’m not going to tell if you don’t.

The copper sulfate killed your good bacteria. That’s a bad thing.

I believe your field lines are the trouble based off your post. If the field lines are not taking the water then removing the speed levelers won’t do a thing to keep the d box from overflowing.

Use less water, replace the field lines when you can.

Just out of curiosity, is good bacteria needed in the leach field? I thought that only applied to the tanks. I put the copper sulfate directly into the ends of the leach lines at the d-box.

My leach lines seem to be taking some water, just not fast enough. Wouldn’t removal of the speed levelers help to increase the flow since it’s going from a tiny hole to a 4 inch pipe?

Thanks for you input!

Just out of curiosity, is good bacteria needed in the leach field? I thought that only applied to the tanks. I put the copper sulfate directly into the ends of the leach lines at the d-box.

My leach lines seem to be taking some water, just not fast enough. Wouldn’t removal of the speed levelers help to increase the flow since it’s going from a tiny hole to a 4 inch pipe?

Thanks for you input!

Yes the leach field needs good bacteria.

If the field is not draining there’s no point in increasing flow.

How much water are you using at once that the speed levelers are causing a problem ?

It sounds to me your field lines are filling up then your D-box is overflowing.

Dig it up and find out.

I think it is time to dig up and replace the weeping field . anything else is just throwing away
good money. bite the bullet ,

Latest posts

Back