Laundry Tub Doesn't Clear Completely

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
So I had a laundry tub installed and when it drains it doesn't appear to drain completely. The bottom of the tub is 18 - 3/4" the bottom of the trap is 12 - 1/2" and the bottom of the waste line coming out of the wall is 19 - 1/4"

Is the issue the bottom of the waste line coming at a higher elevation than the tub?

Yes. going by that description, if the drain height couldn't be dropped, you need a pump, like a "Little Giant".

I think I can just open the wall and lower the waste line 90. How much lower does it need to be?

Agree if it has feet set it on bricks or something esthetically pleasing. If it's wall mount your gonna have a little more work.

Depends how far away it is from the trap.
QIl3s1k.jpg

That picture looks like it should drain.
Either my eyes are gone, or I see a double 90 offset drop from the drain at the wall between h/c stops, it's likely a trap, but the outlet is very close to the basin bottom, if not slightly higher.
Furthermore, what looks like a weighted flex line for a pullout is wrapped below it.

Either my eyes are gone, or I see a double 90 offset drop from the drain at the wall between h/c stops, it's likely a trap, but the outlet is very close to the basin bottom, if not slightly higher.
Furthermore, what looks like a weighted flex line for a pullout is wrapped below it.

ZB2d2QS.jpg

Even if the bottom of the waste line going into the wall is higher than the bottom of the laundry tub?
That's what I was saying, going by your statement "bottom of the tub is 18 - 3/4" .... and the bottom of the waste line coming out of the wall is 19 - 1/4" "

No, it shouldn't drain, according to that you'll have 1/2" standing water in the tub.

Also, the pullout has to be fixed, the flexible connection is wrapped under the drain.

Also, inside the wall should be a tee-wye to connect both drain and vent, not a 90, assuming the tee-wye is right there and there isn't an extended arm, it shouldn't be too difficult to drop, will require a wall patch.

Screenshot_20210608-081715_Chrome.jpg
I'm not sure if it's the angle of the picture or what, but this 90° going into the wall looks to be below the basin.

There’s no doubt the bottom of the drain is lower than the bottom of the sink bottomCAB7ED5C-D3C2-4CEA-AC4A-39D9F255AB67.jpeg

It’s still a mess.....

I think this person is either incorrectly thinking the trap should drain completely, or there is another issue in the wall that prevents the actual basin from draining.

I'm not sure if it's the angle of the picture or what, but this 90° going into the wall looks to be below the basin.
Right, I'm going by the O/P's original measurements - "bottom of the tub is 18 - 3/4" .... and the bottom of the waste line coming out of the wall is 19 - 1/4"

According to that, the basin is 1/2" lower than bottom of drain after trap.

Last edited:
It seems likely that the line behind the wall is at the height of the 90 going into the wall (with drop for joins), so any change to the drain line could turn into a major project with still no good solution. Example below:

1623170026972.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back