Laundry Drain smell issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnySee7

Reaction score
dk8A2q
20181110_131523_zpskeik4flq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Hey guys, new member here...came here seeking help for an issue I'm having. I've just finished a basement laundry room. There is sewage smell coming from the laundry drain. I've isolated it to the laundry drain because when I seal the drain the smell dissipates. I have attached pictures to show how I have completed the rough in. Anybidea as to why the smell is getting past the p-trap? It is all brand new plumbing (the stack is existing).

Thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20181110_131523.jpg
    20181110_131523.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180401_100128.jpg
    20180401_100128.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
also i dont know about canada but the vent thats piped back to the main stack is against code around here. It needs to tie in
above any other fixtures, im not saying it wont work , its just they wont allow us to do it here.

Hi Mike, It does have water in it. It is currently in use. Form what I read it does meet local codes so long às the vent slopes back towards the drain.

if its in use and youre still getting a smell then trap must be self siphoning. either vent is to far from trap or it is not working. vent on 2 inch i believe can only be 5 ft. away. for it to work properly. im not positive on distance i dont have code book near me. Thats the only issue I can see but I may be missing something.

From the drawing. You should be good. When your smelling the fumes. Can you feel a draft over pipe? I am one of those new age vapor smokers. I take my vape pen and blow the vape in box. But I don’t see anything wrong. You extended your vent line by making a secondary 2-3’ away. Even then the proper slope sitting still is no worry. The slope and distance is to keep this pipe from filling and creating a vacuum. That will suck others dry on way by and prevent sucking it’s own trap dry. So after a laundry dump do you hear gurgle? Can you immediatly pour water in to catch the trap in time? Just a test not a lifestyle. If doing this prevents the smell then you gotta revent again. A studor about 3’ from trap with a luvor access. Come up higher than washer box connection.

For ipc he looks good. 6’ arm , Wet vent is our way of venting. If it works for 1 code then it works. This smell is from washer not lavatory. Lavatory isn’t getting dry?

if 3 inch stack has fixtures draining from above laundry vent will be blown and trap siphoned... vent should connect above any fixtures above.

Thanks for the replies. The smell is coming from laundry drain. No smell coming from the sink. There is other fixtures tied into the stack above where the vent in the basement is tied into.

ok so that vent line can either be moved higher or try a aav air admittance valve. the aavs arent a guarantee but cheaper than relocating vent line.
upload_2018-11-11_13-36-38.jpeg

Somebody could say needs up sized to 2”.and the cleanout trap just asking for leak But every plumber has different eyes. 10 plumbers will find 50 different things wrong. I have seen worse working. No plumber I know has ever just replumbed after moving in just because the plumbing is against code. My house is plumbed worse than this picture. I didn’t do it but it’s worked since 92 and works. Not ugly just wouldn’t pass any code. But it works copper and pvc. . This job would pass ipc in Tn. Except for needing 2”. But still shouldn’t be allowing gas to escape. Lol just seen Frodo redneck trap primer. Love it.

Latest posts

Back