Kohler Shower Handle, how do i attach handle, the screw is inside the collar? Cant get collar off. thanks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the collar unscrews from the valve body. Sometimes it is reverse threads from what previous posters note.
Looks like you may have a broken part from the photo.

I have just replaced the valve cartridge on this type of shower valve. That sleeve with the notch in it rotates to line up with a setscrew to remove the handle. It's kind of a PITA to find it. I turned the water off at the main and turned the handle full "on". That should bring the setscrew to about the "10 o'clock" position where you should be able to see through the notch and remove with Allen wrench.
Then you need to unscrew the other "ring" (use a small screwdriver in the notch to turn it carefully counter-clockwise) to free up the cover plate. Then you can access the "cartridge". If this is a custom shower, using a 3/4" supply the cartridge will cost you about $100. UNLESS... Unless you tell them at Kohler customer service that you are the the original owner, or that you had this installed in a bath remodel while you owned the house. Then they will send you the parts under warrantee. You should also replace the balance valve that you will see when you remove the cart. You need to turn it 45 degrees to remove it. This unit balances the water temp. so you don't get scalded.

In the second picture , does the little hole on side of collar have any thing to do with it?
I have just replaced the valve cartridge on this type of shower valve. That sleeve with the notch in it rotates to line up with a setscrew to remove the handle. It's kind of a PITA to find it. I turned the water off at the main and turned the handle full "on". That should bring the setscrew to about the "10 o'clock" position where you should be able to see through the notch and remove with Allen wrench.
Then you need to unscrew the other "ring" (use a small screwdriver in the notch to turn it carefully counter-clockwise) to free up the cover plate. Then you can access the "cartridge". If this is a custom shower, using a 3/4" supply the cartridge will cost you about $100. UNLESS... Unless you tell them at Kohler customer service that you are the the original owner, or that you had this installed in a bath remodel while you owned the house. Then they will send you the parts under warrantee. You should also replace the balance valve that you will see when you remove the cart. You need to turn it 45 degrees to remove it. This unit balances the water temp. so you don't get scalded.
Ok thanks, i removed the allen screw, do i stick the screw driver in this same hole to turn it? the inner ring just spins by hand and does nothing.

In the second picture , does the little hole on side of collar have any thing to do with it?

Ok thanks, i removed the allen screw, do i stick the screw driver in this same hole to turn it? the inner ring just spins by hand and does nothing.
The cartridge and everything is fine, the handle just loosed up and i unscrewed it all the way until it came off.

?? The handle in your picture looks like the stem is broken. :rolleyes: The wall plate is probably caulked to the wall.
Are you good now??
no, the handle is not broke off, it is just unsrewed, the screw is inside the collar. the wall plate is not caulked to the wall i can move it a little. i removed the allen screw as you said, but i don't see a slot to put the screwdriver in there. the inner space just spins and spins. there are two little holes in this spacer and the other hole the allen screw came out of.

I put a pipe wrench on the collar and it won't budge, what am i missing? thanks for trying to help

So... the part in your hand and the cone shaped piece are the handle ? When you remove the setscrew through the notch at the tip of the pink tweeters the handle should come off.
In the larger picture you can see the notch in the ring that holds the wall plate. The notch I'm talking about is right at the 12 oclock position (there's another 180 degrees from it also, it's designed for a "spanner". But the handle and the chrome tube needs to come off first. Then that "ring" unscrews and allows access to the cartridge. The ring screws into a plastic piece behind the trim plate. When I said use a screwdriver it was because no homeowner owns a spanner the size you need to unscrew it. I use a screwdriver in the notch and GENTLY tap the screwdriver to turn the ring counterclockwise.
Take a picture after you remove the handle and the chrome tube.

Last edited:
So... the part in your hand and the cone shaped piece are the handle ? When you remove the setscrew through the notch at the tip of the pink tweeters the handle should come off.
In the larger picture you can see the notch in the ring that holds the wall plate. The notch I'm talking about is right at the 12 oclock position (there's another 180 degrees from it also, it's designed for a "spanner". But the handle and the chrome tube needs to come off first. Then that "ring" unscrews and allows access to the cartridge. The ring screws into a plastic piece behind the trim plate. When I said use a screwdriver it was because no homeowner owns a spanner the size you need to unscrew it. I use a screwdriver in the notch and GENTLY tap the screwdriver to turn the ring counterclockwise.
Take a picture after you remove the handle and the chrome tube.
Hi Doc,
That did it, thanks for staying with me, handle attached and works fine!! Thanks for making everything clear. Really appreciate it!!

Back