Kohler Diverter K-8549 troubles - SOLVED

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSL3

Reaction score
I searched the forums here and couldn’t find anything similar to my problem.

I have a bathroom whirlpool tub set up that uses deck mount valves, deck mount spout, deck mount handheld shower and the following diverter: https://www.us.kohler.com/us/Two-wa...er-hose-guide/productDetail/valves/420254.htm

I believe that the diverter may be plumbed incorrectly but I’m not sure.

So here is my first question: when the K-8549 diverter is in the default (or down) position, should the water flow be to the main tub filler faucet, and when the K-8549 diverter is pulled to the up position, should the water flow then be diverted to the handheld shower?

In my case, when the K-8549 diverter is in the default (or down) position, the water flows to the handheld.

Assuming that in my case, the valve was plumbed incorrectly, here’s my second question: other than replumbing the K-8549 diverter (which would involve tile demo), is there any adjustment that can be made with the diverter cartridge (either re-orienting or changing it somehow) that would correct the problem. Here is the link for the K-8549 diverter installation instructions which shows the type of diverter cartridge (on p.11): https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/113290_2.pdf

Third question: the water pressure had to be quite high (full volume) to keep the K-8549 diverter in the up position. Is that normal? In other words, the weight of the diverter handle (trim piece with set screw) is quite heavy and it takes an enormous amount of pressure to keep the K-8549 diverter in the up position.

Thanks, in advance, -Jim

No adjustment is available to change the current condition.

Last edited:
There is access to the hose through a side panel in a closet wall that backs up to the tub, so we're good there. If I have to remove or re-pipe the whole valve assembly that would require tile work. I did get through to the Kohler tech support chat person today (Sunday which was impressive). She told me the default position for the K-8549 diverter is up and you need to push it down to change the flow from the tub spout (diverter up) to handheld (diverter down). If that is the case, then the piping is correct. My issue is that the diverter won't stay in the up position when the water flow is on. I've ordered a new cartridge for the K-8549 diverter to see if that will make a difference. Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The new part arrives in 2 days. I'll report back.
-Jim

SOLVED - posting in case someone comes across this forum thread in the future.
The new cartridge for the K-8549 diverter solved the problem. In the picture (attached), the cartridges are oriented with the bottom to the left and the top to the right. The old diverter cartridge (top cartridge in the picture) was faulty - the internal spring mechanism was broken. That is why the old diverter wouldn't stay in the up position which is the default position to send water flow to the main tub spout. After the install of the new cartridge, all is well. Now, pressing the diverter to the down position correctly sends the water flow to the handheld. The water pressure holds the diverter in the down position until the hot/cold valves are closed. Once the water stops flowing the new diverter pops back into the up position.
IMG_4031.jpg

New to the forum but looked like lots of great information shared here.
I have a hit tub issue hopefully someone can help me with. Started out the pump would just hum. Called spa tech and after several hundred bucks they tell me pump is shot. I ordered one myself and decided to do the work. Wired it up correctly. Even sent pics to the pump manufacturers technician. He agreed it was all good to go. Turned it on and nothing. Checked all fuses in mother board as well as power to mother board. Then I unhooked pump and checked for power at the pump wires. Nothing. Tech said there is an issue with circuit board. These things are pricey so wondered if any advice on what to check with regards to the lack of power to the pump. Not sure if it is a bad Zettler relay or if they even have anything to do with that. Or how to even test the relay. Or am I looking in the wrong area on the board. Id rather replace a $5.00 part as opposed to $400 board if I can. Alewady into it for a pump and the spa technician's crazy fee. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

He hid his posts well. Notice the hyperlinks that he would eventually substitute for his promotional crap. Thanks for the heads up.

Back