kohler 2 handle faucet won't turn off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a two handle kohler faucet that is a 1988 model ( don't know the number)

The stem just keeps turning and will not turn off. Help!!

If you have stop valves underneath you can turn the side off that’s leaking.

You could try removing the handle and turning the stem with pliers, the handle may be stripped.

If it’s hot water you could turn the water off to the water heater.

You could turn all your water off.

OK, well an update. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had turned the water off. Sorry I should have mentioned that. (that was important) I had just never seen a situation where the stem keep turning and would not stop or shut the water off.
So after I had a chance to take it apart and repair it. What I discovered, apparently, (some other @%VEF person) had placed a piece of cardboard or paper around the inside of the handle to cover up the fact that the knurled spline on the stem was worn or ground off and the handle was turning but the stem was not. Oddly, even the screw on the handle was turning with it so it did not appear to be loose.
Very strange! Fortunately I had another stem and after a little effort I got it repaired. Correctly this time.
People that do that type of repair should not be allowed to even see a wrench let alone touch it.

Thank you again for your post

If you have stop valves underneath you can turn the side off that’s leaking.

You could try removing the handle and turning the stem with pliers, the handle may be stripped.

If it’s hot water you could turn the water off to the water heater.

You could turn all your water off.
Thank you were correct the handle was stripped

Latest posts

Back