Kitchen sink wont drain, no clog found.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaddy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping someone out there will have a solution for me.

Background info:
I have a kitchen sink that is vented with an In-Line vent or "air admittance valve" so it does not connect to our main vent for the rest of the house and thus does not vent through our roof. The vent was installed during a previous reno by the former owners of our home. The sink has had the odd difficulty draining but nothing major until now.

The problem:
The sink fills with water and empties a few hours later.
*Note. If I take the cap off the vent and depress the spring then the tub will drain a few millilitres then begin to fill with water.*

What's been done up to this point:
- I have checked the trap for debris and found nothing
-I disconnected the vent and ran an auger down the line looking for any obstruction and found nothing.
- With the vent off and the sink empty I have run the water until the sink is full. The sink does not drain and the vent fills with water.

I've attached a picture of what the current plumbing looks like for greater detail. Yes, that is a laundry tub in our kitchen. We are currently undergoing our own reno and waiting on our new kitchen to be installed.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

unnamed.jpg

How long was the auger? Are you sure the auger didn't go a different direction than the clog. I'm betting you have a common stopped up drain line, and a plumber could take care of your problem in a few minutes.

(Yes, I understand you are here to try to correct this yourself, but trust me....sometimes a pro with their specialized tools is a lot less headaches than renting this stuff at a rental yard...and safer)

You were right. I think my lack of experience and confidence may have got the better of me.

Taking your post into consideration, I removed the vent and ran that auger (15' to answer you question) back into the drain.

Originally, I was expecting less resistance from the auger as I ran it into the drain. When I ran it a second time I thought I would be less kind and really put some force into it. I eventually made progress and as I hit another spot where it stopped, I twisted and pushed with the same amount of force and it went in. This happened everywhere there was a bend in the pipe I suppose.

I finally hit something and heard a "Wooosh" as the block cleared and the sink emptied.

I will be calling a pro for anything major though.

Thanks a lot for the help. My wife is very happy.

That doesn't appear to be an approved air admittance valve, but rather a cheapie $10 cheater vent. I would suggest that be upgraded when you finish your renovation.

Thanks. Yes, I've discovered that in my research. It's on my list of things to replace sooner rather than later.

You were right. I think my lack of experience and confidence may have got the better of me.

Taking your post into consideration, I removed the vent and ran that auger (15' to answer you question) back into the drain.

Originally, I was expecting less resistance from the auger as I ran it into the drain. When I ran it a second time I thought I would be less kind and really put some force into it. I eventually made progress and as I hit another spot where it stopped, I twisted and pushed with the same amount of force and it went in. This happened everywhere there was a bend in the pipe I suppose.

I finally hit something and heard a "Wooosh" as the block cleared and the sink emptied.

I will be calling a pro for anything major though.

Thanks a lot for the help. My wife is very happy.
I have similar problem w kitchen sink. It only drains when I take the plug off the drain pipe downstairs. Then it drains to a drain in floor. I’m assuming the clog is passed the that area and in the part that goes into the ground. I can’t get my snake or clothes hanger or braided copper wire to go far enough. I was thinking that was because of the v shape pipe. Thoughts??? I wish I never bought this house —- that’s my thought

I have similar problem w kitchen sink. It only drains when I take the plug off the drain pipe downstairs. Then it drains to a drain in floor. I’m assuming the clog is passed the that area and in the part that goes into the ground. I can’t get my snake or clothes hanger or braided copper wire to go far enough. I was thinking that was because of the v shape pipe. Thoughts??? I wish I never bought this house —- that’s my thought

how about if I snake the main drain? because the clog is below the y which has a d pipe above on the sink pipe that's down by the main drain. idk about that d pipe. I'm guessing it's to keep large stuff from kitchen sink -going down main

Your drain in the floor could have a bad trapseal to block sewer gas from a dry trap, Its yousley a ball or some type of float, They can be changeling to get a snake around espically some can seize up with a screwey vent systems. It could also be plugged with dirt which can harden solid. The flow of DWV is always susposto go with the sweep, A 'V' shaped fitting as in a angle greater than 90 deg. should not be anywear other than the house vent (180 deg.)
since the drain goes into the ground Is the house trap next in line ? If it is the most next common place for a clog is the house trap, which correctly manufactured ones will have 2 clean out right above the bend's or you can go thru the house vent, which the fitting removal/replacement is simple.

Whats a 'D pipe' ?

Your drain in the floor could have a bad trapseal to block sewer gas from a dry trap, Its yousley a ball or some type of float, They can be changeling to get a snake around espically some can seize up with a screwey vent systems. It could also be plugged with dirt which can harden solid. The flow of DWV is always susposto go with the sweep, A 'V' shaped fitting as in a angle greater than 90 deg. should not be anywear other than the house vent (180 deg.)
since the drain goes into the ground Is the house trap next in line ? If it is the most next common place for a clog is the house trap, which correctly manufactured ones will have 2 clean out right above the bend's or you can go thru the house vent, which the fitting removal/replacement is simple.

Whats a 'D pipe' ?
thank you for your help. isn't the vent on top of house? is there access inside? there is a plug off to the side of the main drain ( or what I think is main) is it ok if I post a video clip or some photos? -and a d pipe is not quite what it's called but the closest to what I have. the sink pvc pipe that goes straight down has a pipe that has half an opening

Where you took the plug out and the sink drains onto the floor in the basement.,

That’s where you need to use a drain machine. If you don’t have one and have never used one before it might be best to call a pro. Or you could rent one, they can hurt you, be very careful. Not a joke nor a scare tactic.

Latest posts

Back