Kitchen Sink with Garbage Disposal and dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrecisionPlum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kitchen Sink with garbage disposal and dishwasher:

I always rough in a double bowel sink with two 1-1/2" drains. One for the dishwasher and
garbage disposal (Dishwasher discharges directly into the GD). I do this because I figure a
horizontal drain to a Tee would not be enough to handle the DFUs. I allow two DU for the
sink with the GD and two for the dishwasher. I do this because I figure both can be discharging
at the same time. Though I admit this would rarely happen. A fellow plumber says I'm over
doing it. He runs a horizontal drain from the GD into a Tee under the other sink bowel and
roughs in only one 1-1/2" drain.

Am I over doing it?

Your thoughts on best practice?

TYA

2 traps. Make sure the garbage disposal is coming into the top of the tea, or use a y, so the blast from the disposal doesn't blow water up the other sink.
Tim Whistler

Tim Whistler Plumbing & Gas

Attachments

• 20211223_144251.jpg
    20211223_144251.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
2 traps. Make sure the garbage disposal is coming into the top of the tea, or use a y, so the blast from the disposal doesn't blow water up the other sink.
Tim Whistler

Tim Whistler Plumbing & Gas
Looks like you stepped the lines up to 2" and have an AAV at the top of drain.

For the sink drain, did you use a sanitary Tee on its side?!

As for a separate drain for the GD: If it is a new rough in, I think I'm going to
keep installing a separate drain for the GD.

Thanks for your feed back Tim.

Last edited:
If you do much service work you are going to find the disposal kit more that 2 seperate drains. I ran mine
like you do.

I would’ve stacked the tee’s with Disposal tee on the bottom. I typically won’t lay a san. tee on it’s side or back.

The traps as the are now are not vented properly. It’s two traps on one fixture arm with a vent. You’d need a vent between the two traps.

But what’s pictured will function.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back