Kitchen sink waste pipe and drain height problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenGopher11

Reaction score
Hey there, first time posting!

Recently installed a new sink and noticed that the previous waste pipe sits at about the same height that the drain sits. I could install the P trap and use an extender to then connect to the waste pipe but it’s about a 5 inch vertical run.

Question: Would this work or would the water fail to drain properly? If that run isn’t going to work, is my only option to lower the drain line? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Yeah....between that unusual looking protrusion at the bottom of that sink together with the addition of that dishwasher drain connection, it got lowered substantially. What is that 6"+/- protrusion on the bottom of the sink for? Some sort of special basket strainer, or what?

Well first off, that would be an illegal trap arrangement. Traps are required to have between 2 and 4" trap seal.
That U-trap would be filled with water on both vertical legs. Not sure what the impact would be.

If you want to use that DW drain nipple, it looks like you would have to lower it.
In fact, it looks like even with not using the DW nipple, you would exceed the 4" trap seal limit.

Last edited:
I would have stopped the installation of that sink, as soon as I dropped it in and saw that it was doomed.

Looks like the only option is to lower the drain at the wall, but pros on here might have a trick to offer up.

Latest posts

Back