Kitchen sink too deep?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shura

Reaction score
Hi all,

Very briefly, here is my situation: the vertical position of my disposal's drain is slightly _below_ the height of my main kitchen drain pipe. The plumber correctly suggested moving the drain pipe down, but I'm planning proper kitchen remodeling and would really prefer doing this then. For the time being, the simplest solution is to remove the disposal, but I do like having a disposal. A shallower sink is another option, assuming those exist...

These options aside, question #1: are there any disposals that have their drain sitting higher than in a regular insinkrator? Question #2, are there any O-shaped "frames" to put under the sink to raise it, say, by an inch, or is this going to require custom carpenter work?

Many thanks!

Insinkerator makes a compact unit. Only saves approx an inch. Measure carefully.

No, no frame to raise the sink is made and sold.

You could buy and install a shallow sink if yours now is deep.

It is too embarrassing to share, but this is how I got my place. I slightly misrepresented the situation in the original description, as you can see: 2 sits slightly above 4, but the 2-3 joint makes water stand in the disposal, causing massive stinkage. No P-trap either. Anyway, I hope this makes your wall of shame.

Also, could you please point me to the compact insinkerator model you mentioned?
Thanks!

Attachments

• shame.jpg
    shame.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 34
I just looked and the compact unit is only 5/16 shorter rough in.

So it wouldn’t help you.

My advice is to remove the disposal or lower the drain. Maybe someone else can come up with something different.

Good luck 👍

Thanks. Not too many options overall, I suppose. I still like the idea of some sort of a frame under the sink as a temporary solution before I properly remodel...
I was quoted $1800 for lowering the drain, so I'd like to avoid this right now.

Thanks. Not too many options overall, I suppose. I still like the idea of some sort of a frame under the sink as a temporary solution before I properly remodel...
I was quoted $1800 for lowering the drain, so I'd like to avoid this right now.

ok, raise the sink then. Do that anyway you see fit.

There is no good reason to have a disposal. Garbage goes in the garbage can. Get rid of it. As you said it's temporary. Raising the sink just sounds like a mess and would look ultra silly.

There is no good reason to have a disposal. Garbage goes in the garbage can. Get rid of it. As you said it's temporary. Raising the sink just sounds like a mess and would look ultra silly.
Well, we find the disposal incredibly useful for things like veggie peel, of which we have tons. A shallower 22x33 sink is around $150, which I'm happy to pay.

Here is another question: the last plumber (super-recommended by the locals, 45 years in the business) said that in my photo 2 is still above 4 and in reality it simply doesn't have to be above, as long as 1 is above 4. So, if one were to replace the idiotic 2-3 accordion with a straight horizontal pipe connecting to a proper T and eventually to 4, things would be fine. Is he wrong?

edit: My freaking memory. It turns out that I actually discussed this earlier right here: Clogging, p-trap, disposals, etc
What the plumber is suggesting is similar to what frodo suggested in that thread, except the P-trap would be in a different spot.

You have to have room for the disposal to 90 down into a trap in this situation.

A low pattern inlet trap may work. It may not. It’s close. Too close for ME to be telling you it’ll work from a picture.

If your plumber is sure.......What are you waiting on ? Tell him to come install it and make it right......

Usually when I peel vegetables I take the lid off of the garbage can and set the garbage can right where I need it for me to be comfortable. The reason I do this is becuse vegetable peels are garbage at my house. And we all know garbage doesn't go into our plumbing. Becuse that would make no sense.

You just need to pipe the disposal in correctly, the drain hole in the wall is far enough below the outlet of the disposal to work properly. You will need the black 90-degree bend that came
with the disposal originally but that is easily purchased at Home Depot or through InSinkErator. Then just a trap and pipe, nothing terribly difficult about it and no need for a new disposal certainly.

You can advise people to throw garbage in the plumbing of you want to. I'll advise them to throw it in the garbage. It'll save them a lot of money and headache.

You can advise people to throw garbage in the plumbing of you want to. I'll advise them to throw it in the garbage. It'll save them a lot of money and headache.
For my kitchen remodelling, I was faced with this dilemma. The plumber advised ditching the disposer. Took his advice and have eliminated the plumber's visiting us every four years! Really like the deep sink!

I know a lady who has an outhouse and never has toilet problems.

I also know a guy who walks everywhere, he never has car trouble.

Just put the basket strainer cover in the sink while peeling, rinse everything into a small pile, then scoop up the peels and toss into the garbage, it takes about ten seconds of grabbing.
I also agree that the drain can be plumbed normally, based on your picture.
The tee is way too high now, a tailpiece extension will fix that.
And then a p trap under it.
What is that third drain for, way to the right?
Does your sink have three bowls?
And your disposer is rusted out, replace it or remove it.

Latest posts

Back