Kitchen sink running out roof overflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott

Reaction score
I have a clogged kitchen sink that is becoming a nightmare. I removed the disposal and pipes under the sink. I ran a snake roughly 25ft and all seemed clear. Now when I run the water and disposal its coming out of the roof overflow pipe. I ran out of snake. Does this mean that I have a clog further down? Any suggestions?

Time to either get a longer snake, or call someone with one. Are you certain you were guiding the snake down the drain towards the blockage and not up the air vent?

When running the snake it would clear and then block again after another foot or so. Then it really opened up for the last 10 feet or so and I thought I was home free. When I couldn't get the water to stop coming back up through the disposal then I realized the water coming up the air vent. Thanks for the response!

There are many things that I will do myself, but snaking a main line is not one of them. You really need to know how to operate the snake properly and have a feel for what the snake is doing. They also can cause serious injuries if you are not paying close attention.

I think you were correct on going up the vent. Giving it another shot and if it doesn't work then I'll call a pro. I'm using an old hand snake with a vice grip for leverage. Not dangerous, just hard to get the feel you mentioned. Thanks again for the advice!

Turn on the nearest faucet to a slow stream which will help guide the snake in the correct direction.

I have a clogged kitchen sink that is becoming a nightmare. I removed the disposal and pipes under the sink. I ran a snake roughly 25ft and all seemed clear. Now when I run the water and disposal its coming out of the roof overflow pipe. I ran out of snake. Does this mean that I have a clog further down? Any suggestions?

Scott I don't understand how your getting water coming out of the roof vent, that you call a overflow. It would have to overflow the sink long before it reached the roof height.

John

When running the snake it would clear and then block again after another foot or so. Then it really opened up for the last 10 feet or so and I thought I was home free. When I couldn't get the water to stop coming back up through the disposal then I realized the water coming up the air vent. Thanks for the response!

Have any pictures . As John mentioned that is pretty odd sounding.

He must be talking about a air admittance valve installed under the counter. If not, I'd like to see it!

I just had the same thing happen to me. Stupid, I put carrot tops down the disposal. I was trying the plunge the drain when my husband came in and said there was water & carrot tops coming out the roof. Crazy.... I can't get the drain to open up. Will have to call a plumber in the morning. Which drain should I make sure he has access too?

Im an owner of a plumbing company and i have seen this. It was the weirdest site to see water coming from the roof vent. It was caused by a clogged sink p trap, and drain, and when the washer drained the force of pressure shot it out the roof vent.

That's Crazy.
So for that to occur the washer is connected to the drain some how after the clogged p-trap.

Sounds like you need a longer snake! They also make camera's which go down the vent pipe to see if there is a problem under your house that is causing these clogs. Normal pipes should not clog unless there is an issue under the house, or if things are put down the pipes that shouldn't be put down them. Older houses with cast iron pipes are notorious for cast iron scale building up inside the lines causing issues.

That's Crazy.
So for that to occur the washer is connected to the drain some how after the clogged p-trap.

Seems odd. Wouldn't the water back up into the dishwasher before shooting all the way up the vent and out the of roof? I'd have to see that! :D

I have seen water come out of the roof vent from a backed up kitchen sink but was only when there was a blockage and I used the garbage disposal. Fixed the problem by snaking thru the kitchen sink trap arm with my mytana 3/8' cable.

i once pulled up to a customers house and seen the laundry vent overflowing with water, the roof and lint stains real bad, found out the guy used a fernco to clamp his hose to the pipe forcing the water into the pipe, up and out, LOL... he said its been coming out his roof vent for a year now, needless to say the drain was so packed from the start, i was not able to get my 1/4inch gorlitz cable thru it, i even tried the jetter, no luck, only thing left was to dig it up, how do you think he took that? well thats what happens when you neglect your plumbing, you will always end up paying..

I have suds coming out the roof vent and no where else? My roofer found it after a storm when he was inspecting my roof? Drain line is not clogged but out tub is suddenly draining very slow? Don’t know if that’s related? Vent pipe is in roof above washing machine?

From the 1st post you ran the snakeout 25' if you had more cable i would send it all out
i have seen soap suds back up thru a perfectly working tub drain never seen anything like
this was in a 13 story building the tub was on the 1st fl
it was a huge dormatory,i openef a 4 " drain under the tub(the buildingwas basically
cleaners were above cleaning apts i could see thesuds just over taking the drain.
but not blocking it
have you tried running a hose down the main vent(with someone watching) inside to see what happens
I have also cleared drains from roof vents

Latest posts

Back