Kitchen sink replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brighamandrew

Reaction score
I'm learning to replace a kitchen sink for the first time myself. The sink is a single bowl which will have a garbage disposal in the center. The garbage disposal will not clear the previous drain pipe leading into the wall. The pipe appears to have been glued together. I want to replace this pipe with one that would give the garbage disposal room. How would I go about replacing this pipe? Thank you.

IMG_20200403_232426.jpg

is The wye in the way??? Not sure what that fitting is at the wall maybe an (escusion) ? Is the wye in the. Way? If yes you may have to cut between the wye and the fitting at the wall and use a (ram)bit it is a drill. Bit that drills out the pipe glued into the fitting coming out of the wall if you dont know what it is google it show a pic from the cabinet door because all we can see is the wye if you drilled out the clean out and the adapter would that help???????

As Geofd said above!
Additionally, you want to keep in mind that the pipe going out the wall is low enough to allow the height difference required to install a p-trap between the garbage disposal and that wall connection.

Why is there 2 connections? Was one a cleanout or something else? I guess we have to assume there's a vent in the wall.

is The wye in the way??? Not sure what that fitting is at the wall maybe an (escusion) ? Is the wye in the. Way? If yes you may have to cut between the wye and the fitting at the wall and use a (ram)bit it is a drill. Bit that drills out the pipe glued into the fitting coming out of the wall if you dont know what it is google it show a pic from the cabinet door because all we can see is the wye if you drilled out the clean out and the adapter would that help???????

Yes the wye is in the way. Particularly the part that branches off the side. Yes, that is an escutcheon at the wall. The previous sink was a double bowl so on that wye, one connection was for the garbage disposal side and the other connection was for the normal drain side. I've attached a few more pictures that will hopefully clarify the configuration. I also attached an image of the configuration with the previous sink.

IMG_20200404_130839.jpgIMG_20200404_125711.jpgIMG_20200404_123530.jpgIMG_20200403_232300.jpgIMG_20200328_171108.jpg

As Geofd said above!
Additionally, you want to keep in mind that the pipe going out the wall is low enough to allow the height difference required to install a p-trap between the garbage disposal and that wall connection.

Why is there 2 connections? Was one a cleanout or something else? I guess we have to assume there's a vent in the wall.

The second connection was for the drain on the previous sink that was a double bowl. I posted a reply to @Geofd showing an image of the previous sink configuration.

So it looks like you have you have the same fitting on both ends of the wye .if only the wye is there would there be enough room,
depends on what your comfortable with, cut those fittings off with a ( string saw) reason for that is less vibration then drill out each socket with a ram bit, now you have a clean wye to work with
Or open the wall and see how much pipe yo have to work with unless some one else can come up with something else .

Back