Kitchen sink frothing problem.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbhat

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a newbie and my kitchen sink exit develops some kind of a back pressure and froths. The plumbing done during construction of the flat is not so great for the kitchen. How can I fix this issue and what causes the frothing? I have attached a picture when the frothing is not present.

sink plumbing.jpg

If your talking about it backing up on it own without using it that's because there's a partial blockage in your sewer main and it's pushing any water draining into your sink so you need to snake your main the stoppage is just after we're your kitchen connects to the sewer main

No, it not backing up on its own. It froths when I start washing my dishes. I have taken a picture after using some liquid soap to wash my utensils.

Attachments

• sink froth backup.jpg
    sink froth backup.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Having a pvc pipe stuck into the middle of the drain strainer is very unusual.

I see you are in India, the piping under the sink might be done differently than what we are used to seeing.

Most members on here are from North America.

Post some good pictures showing everything under the sink.
And also show the rest of that pvc pipe sticking out of the drain.

I see you are in India, the piping under the sink might be done differently than what we are used to seeing.

It is pretty unusual even here but then again since no one follows any code you can see a lot of weird stuff based on the plumber's creativity. I live in an apartment and this was what was done when I got here.

Do you think having a decent P-Trap etc would improve the situation? Also is it a lot of work?

Post some good pictures showing everything under the sink.
And also show the rest of that pvc pipe sticking out of the drain.

I will try to get that. The PVC pipe is basically connected to the sink directly above. There is something unusual when I remove the strainer where I see a small pipe with a removable cap.

Having the sink above you drain into your sink drain is very strange.

Pictures of everything will help people advise you.

If he had a sink draining into a sink I would think having the pipe stuck in the drain is already have a restriction if it's draining thru a strainer I would treat it like an indirect waste and move the pipe to the corner of the sink and be at least 6" off the base that way there is access to both drains and the water from the above sink had time to slow down before
Entering the drain

What you have is beyond wacky and unsanitary. There is no way any of us pros who understand the whys and wherefores of plumbing to begin to comment on pipes jammed together.
There are internationally agreed-to principles of sanitary waste. You do not currently have that, based on the pictures.
Sorry, and I don't mean anything unkind, but you just are not going to get much of help when you are not able to start out with basic physics of adequate plumbing design.
I have traveled internationally enough to fully understand that there are vast parts of the planet that do not have basic, proper sanitary waste.
Even if you have money, there is often inadequate supply stock and resources.
I tried to work with a friend plumbing his new house in Bali, and the available parts at the 'hardware' stores left me stunned stupid. Couldn't get proper parts anywhere locally.
Again, sorry, and best regards.

If he had a sink draining into a sink I would think having the pipe stuck in the drain is already have a restriction if it's draining thru a strainer I would treat it like an indirect waste and move the pipe to the corner of the sink and be at least 6" off the base that way there is access to both drains and the water from the above sink had time to slow down before
Entering the drain

The pipe is not draining through the strainer. The strainer has a center hole through which the pipe goes through. The water never overflows from the drain even when two taps are open at full volume. It is the soap froth that comes out of the strainer holes.

For reference it is similar to this product -> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61NDc70udhL._SL1264_.jpg

Notice the pipe goes through the Plate floor. Except being all covered it is a strainer.

Last edited:
It is unlikely that we can diagnose your problem at all.

Due to the bizarre plumbing, connected in crazy ways.

But with pictures showing everything as requested, there is at least a chance.

Please provide them.

I took pictures from the sink here. IMG_20201102_215532730.jpgIMG_20201102_215621722.jpg

Also the end of the pipe with the strainer removed. pipe1.jpg

Notice the grey plastic? It has a small cap with a notch to use to turn it around. Not sure what it is but I see it in different strainers.

What you have is beyond wacky and unsanitary. There is no way any of us pros who understand the whys and wherefores of plumbing to begin to comment on pipes jammed together.
There are internationally agreed-to principles of sanitary waste. You do not currently have that, based on the pictures.
Sorry, and I don't mean anything unkind, but you just are not going to get much of help when you are not able to start out with basic physics of adequate plumbing design.
I have traveled internationally enough to fully understand that there are vast parts of the planet that do not have basic, proper sanitary waste.
Even if you have money, there is often inadequate supply stock and resources.
I tried to work with a friend plumbing his new house in Bali, and the available parts at the 'hardware' stores left me stunned stupid. Couldn't get proper parts anywhere locally.
Again, sorry, and best regards.

I do not disagree with you one bit. It is what it is and all I can do is try to fix it in some way or not make things worse. I have zero plumbing experience and all I can do is learn because as you have said even if I have money I simply cannot get someone qualified to diagnose the problem. I have to diagnose and come up with a plan and get someone to help to fix it.

Back