Kitchen sink disposal leak and no more normal drainage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diy

Reaction score
Hi,

My garbage disposal has been leaking for a while now. And today, I tried to "pump" the water in the left sink to let the drainage go faster, but it made the disposal worse. Now the water in my left sink just goes to the right sink, and and goes through the disposal's leakage. I am not getting normal drainage at my left sink (it was slow but functional before).

And I am not able to turn the center bolt at the bottom of the disposal. It's very stuck.

I have been putting off the replacement. Am I at the point that I must replace this disposal to get normal drainage again? Or am I in a worse situation? Is this something that I can fix or should I call a contractor for help.

Any help will be appreciated!

View attachment leaking.MOV

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_6851.JPG
sink.JPG

replace.. check out Costco sale on American standard. Go with lowest cost if costco or Badger 5 is a decent replacement as well.

@breplum I just found one on sale at costco online. Do they all come with the same sizes? How do I know it will fit?

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 3.06.13 PM.png

All kitchen sinks are universal size drain hole.
If you wanted, you can even reuse the clamping ring that is in place and save the new clamping ring.
Though, it is a good practice to use new assembly and plumber's putty.
Go with new plastic p-trap and continuous waste. Black or white...plumbing shops sell black mostly and hardware stores sell white but it is the same poly material and lasts forever.

@breplum I am a noob so I want to make sure I understand what to do. You mean besides buying the garbage disposal, I need to buy a "new plastic p-trap", and a "continuous waste"? Will I be able to find them in Lowes or Home depot?

costco also has this one on sale for $89.99. Will this more expensive one last longer?

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 3.22.55 PM.png

I think I know what the p-trap is now. Do I have to replace it? So it must be clogged right?

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 4.09.33 PM.png

What kind of tools do I need to get in order to be able to replace all the necessary parts by myself?

The P-trap is probably where your blockage is, or it is in the horizontal line from the P-trap going into the wall., or both. The P-trap doesn't NEED to be replaced unless it is in bad shape. But you may want to replace it, and perhaps some more of the drain piping once you get into replacing the garbage disposal.

And not to be demeaning, but if you need to ask what tools you need to perform this work, you may not have the skills/understanding to perform this DIY. But the answer is a couple of adjustable wrenches, perhaps a pipe wrench, screwdriver, plumbers' putty, pliers, etc. You will also probably need to snake the drain line going into the wall even if the P-trap is where the blockage is.

@MicEd69 No offense taken. I am here to learn. I just want to be extra careful not to make a mess. Hopefully I can get better at it little by little. Thanks for the input.

Get a new 11/2 p-trap and replace it all the way to the wall. Also get a disposal kit and that will take you over to the
other sink. Wire up the disposal while it is down and then install. Also if you have a dishwasher hose hooking into it
there is a knock out that has to be removed. You'll see it inside. Take a screw driver and hammer and knock it out. Use
plumbers puddy under the flange of the new disposal.. Make sure you get the plastic knock out piece out of the disposal.
Hope this helps you some.

Hi, I bought a pipe ranch and was able to take out the p-trap and cleaned it up. Am I supposed to be able to remove the one connected to the wall? I was able to turn the "cover", but it won't come in. Am I supposed to use force and pull it in?

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 5.01.43 PM.png

I put the cleaned p-trap back in, but water still comes out from the disposal leakage. does it mean the pipe to the wall is clogged?

Ok. I was able to take the pipe to the wall out as well. It was clogged. I cleaned it up. I then put back everything but the water is still just coming out of the disposal leakage.

I see a lot of black goo in the main pipe to the outside. What can I do to remove any blockage in the main/outside pipe?

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 6.27.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-01 at 6.27.32 PM.png

Can you describe that blockage? Was it soft, smelly, metallic, etc. Was something put or fall into your garbage disposal that was chewed up and that is what started your problems? It looks like chewed up aluminum foil or pipe scale or?????

That blockage is also in the drain line in the wall. It will need to be snaked to clear that blockage. Use something like this.

1669996948862.png

If that doesn't do it, I would call a plumber as the blockage may be quite a ways down the drain line.

Jusy don't use chemical drain cleaners.

The stuff in the pipe that I took out was almost like clay. Maybe the outside pipe has something like that. I am waiting for the hand auger to arrive to try doing it (sneak) myself.

Most people do not know how to use a garbage disposal.

If you peel potatoes in the sink, scrape the peelings together best you can and throw them in the trash can. Then the small 10-12 pieces that you can't easily pick up can then be washed down into the running garbage disposal with the water flowing full force. Then turn the disposal off and put the sink stopper in the sink and fill it up at least half full. Pull the stopper, turn the disposal on, and let the water flush anything remaining in the pipes down the drain line.

WAY too many people think if it will fit down the garbage disposal, it will be properly and easily disposed of down the drain. That is TOTALLY incorrect and will lead to problems like yours.

I hope your snake will reach the blockage. If not, you can rent longer power snakes, but you may want to hire a plumber as those can cause damage if not operated properly. I wouldn't recommend a nationally known drain line rooter company, not to mention names. Get recommendations from freinds in your area and/or go to one of the big box stores. They have lists of plumbers, although they usually take anyone who wants to advertise their services. So, check any potential plumbers with the BBB and be sure they are licensed and bonded.

Good luck!

I think the best solution to garbage disposal drain problems is:
  1. Remove the garbage disposal and toss it.
  2. Reroute the now-open sink drain pipe.
  3. Dump whatever you have been shoving down the disposal into your garbage can.

I think the best solution to garbage disposal drain problems is:
  1. Remove the garbage disposal and toss it.
  2. Reroute the now-open sink drain pipe.
  3. Dump whatever you have been shoving down the disposal into your garbage can.
Also, consider obtaining a fine-mesh strainer to place in the sink drain. .

Just an update. I snaked the drain last week. My kitchen is on the second floor. I used all 25 feet of cable. At first, I wasn't able to retract the cable because it got stuck. But luckily I was able to pull it out after many tries.

Now water can flow out, but still not fast enough. I'll give it another try. But I am a bit concerned that the cable will be stuck again.

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 9.18.39 AM.png

Latest posts

Back